I opened my mouth with all the chewed food just to annoy her.

"Angelica Morr," she huffed while I laughed. I've always loved teasing mom.

The room was quiet when mom suddenly spoke,"I can't believe you're leaving in less than two weeks."

Suddenly the food became harder to swallow, "Yeah me neither."

"Do you remember when we moved here? It was the year you decided to become a lawyer. I still recall how you came in and stood in front of the TV to get out attention and then you announced it, 'Mom dad I'm gonna be a lawyer when I grow up and that's that' then you went back to your room," she chuckled as she remembered the distant memory. Her hands were resting on the table and her eyes were set on the ground I think I saw her tear up for a second before she wiped it away quickly.

We never talked about this before, for us the future was always planned in advance we always knew what the next step was and no one would intervene, high-school first and then college and kids move out when they go to college so that was settled I always thought my mom would be prepared for a moment like this but I don't think she's ready to let me go. I mean would I want my only child to move to another country and live there for five or six years? Would it be easy on me to not wake up one morning and see my child whom I've lived with for eighteen years? Family nights are going to be different, dinner time is going to be different even our mornings are going to be different. Maybe this is all part of growing up, to do things differently to change and to adapt to a new lifestyle you're not sure if you're ready for.

"These were the days," I added and joined her on her little trip to the past lanes.

"We're going to miss you Angelica, we know we need to let you move on with your life but we're going to miss you."

And then I saw them. Mom's tears. They were there running down her cheeks I must have started crying too because she reached out and wiped my tears.

"I'm going to miss you too, I'm going to miss everything here. The apartment, the food, you, my friends, the smelly streets. Everything."

"Oh baby," and just as mom hugged me I began to cry harder. We both cried our hearts out, it's not just parents watching their children grow old and leave it's the kids too. We too worry that someday our parents won't be around anymore and one day we will have to cook our own meals and sleep in empty apartments, we worry that one day we won't have someone to tell us to get off the phone it's these little things that you're so used to having in your everyday life that matter the second they disappear. It's the process of growing up.

****

I was lying down on my bed staring at the ceiling it's been hours and still I couldn't sleep. Mom and dad are probably dreaming by now and for the last hour I kept tossing and turning until I finally gave in.

The flyer was on my nightstand and for a minute I considered the option of attending the match.  Why not go? Ummm because it's dangerous and freaking eleven pm? Besides I haven't really asked mom and dad for  permission to go. But I'm eighteen so I'm an adult,I don't need their permission and I can't sleep and I don't want to spend my last days here as a couch potato, I need to do something different and exciting for a change. Should I go? Yup I'm definetly going.

I got up and ran to the closet, hmmm what to wear what to wear dark blue jeans, black top, and a black hoodie? Why not? It fits the occasion.  I wore my shoes quickly and hurrying outside my room.  Sneaking out felt a bit stupid since I'm basically an adult now but still the idea of getting caught by my parents was intimidating.