Chapter 5

When the morning came, I was the first one up and started to making breakfast. Pony didn't come home last night and when I'm  worried, I cook and clean, just like my mom did when She was nervous. I  put the  food on the table and went to wake up the boys. Just on cue two-bit walks as well as Steve. Soda and Daryl sit down at the table and starts to eat. Two-bit was grabbing 3 pancakes and was trying to stuff it down his mouth. I walked to the couch and sat down. " Hey Kiddo, aren't you hungry" Daryl asked confused. I shook my head no and looked outside the window. Soda pleaded with me "Come on Mel, you need energy in you". I turned around and looked into his dark chocolate eyes and nodded. " Okay fine ill eat a little" I said before sitting at the table. Steve kissed my cheek and I smiled at him. We all got done finish eating and i started on dishes. Soda and Daryl knew what was wrong with me and just decided to let it run its course. " Hey Mel, Two-bit, Darry and I are going to go look for Pony and try to see if Dally can tell us anything,you stay with Steve just in case he comes back here" Soda said and kissed my forehead. I nodded and looked at Daryl "Be careful okay?" I told him with a worried face. He kissed my forehead and said "we will". Just like that they were out the door. Steve helped me clean the whole house knowing it will calm my nerves. I was just cleaning the window when there was a knock at my door. I answered to find a police officer there. "Hello madam, is this the curtis residents?" He asked with a straight face. "Yes it is, is everything okay?" I asked concerned. The last time the fuzz was at our doorstep, it was the day that mom and dad died in the auto wreck. "We are looking for Johnny Cade and Ponyboy Curtis. There was an accident last night that has killed a young kid. Do you know the name Robert  Sheldon or Bob Sheldon?" He asked stepping forward into the house. My heart skipped a beat. "Bob is dead? Wait do you think my brother and Johnny had something to do with this??" I said with my heart pumping through my chest. " Oh we know they had to do with this due to witnesses, do you know where they are?" He asked more aggressively. "No i haven't seen them" i said taking a step back. Steve heard the commotion from the other room and came right to the living room and stood slightly in front of me. " thank you for your time lady" the officer told me and walked out of the house, getting into his shiny police car and driving away. Steve looked at me and asked" what was that all about babe, what did he want". I didn't say anything, i stood in shock until I dropped to my knees. Thankfully steve was there to catch me somewhat. I just sat on the floor, tears running down my face. " woah Mel,baby, what do you want me to do" Steve concerned voice croaked and held me in hid arms. " call soda" was the only words i spoke. Steve left me on the floor and went to call soda. I couldn't believe what was told to me, i thought it was all a prank but I just didn't want to believe it.

The door of the house busted open and in came Soda,Daryl and Two-bit huffing and puffing from running all the way home. The boys saw me on the ground with steve next to me holding me in his arms. "Mel! What happened?" Two-bit asked as they all ran over to my mentally unstable state. " a police officer came to tbe house looking for johnny and pony. Bob Sheldon was killed last night being stabbed by Johnny and now they have fled." I told them and bust into tears in steves arms.  The boys sat in silence and didn't say word. Finally the silence broke when good old Dallas Winston walked into the door. " i need to talk to you guys,its about pony and Johnny-" Steve interrupted saying " we know, Soc is dead, Johnny stabbed him". " yeah and they are both okay and as well as innocent" Dally said taking a cigarette out and lighting it. I looked up " wait you know where they are?! Where are they?" I asked as we all stood up. " there hiding away somewhere in texas i cant tell you but there waiting it out until this all blows over" Dally said calm and collected. I was so pissed with him, I walked other and started to hit his chest over and over again." Why didn't you come and tell us that you helped them, we could have been there, i hate you" i kept yelling and sobbing and he just let me hit him. Sooner or later Steve grabbed me from behind and held me back. I sobbed into his chest. " take her to bed would you and stay with her" Daryl asked Steve and he nodded. Steve took me into my room and we got into the covers. He held me tight in his arms while I sobbed until I grew to tired and my mind took me into a deep sleep. Before I went into dreamland, i had one thought on my mind. I was gonna keep looking for Johnny and Pony no matter what.