AUGUST 13TH

Through the bleak, seemingly never-ending void, the Caracas pushed on, cutting a swathe through space as with every passing second she neared her destination, a planet several thousand lightyears from Earth that would, all being well, serve as a new home and new beginning for those million or so individuals who were making the trip.

The vessel's corridors were empty, completely devoid of life. In fact it was only the fact that the emergency lighting illuminated the main walkways and service areas in its off-yellow hue that alluded to there being any life on board at all.

As the Caracas' clock ticked over to August 13th though, all of that changed.

Rather than exhibiting the empty barrenness they had moments before, the corridors were ablaze with colour, the magnificently bright lights showing more bunting than was decent in all of its glory.

Trestle tables lined the corridors, individually decorated and piled high with platters of delicious looking food and the most tantalisingly tempting beverages.

Over the vessel's sound system some big-band music began to play, diving straight into an old swing number and as it did so, people appeared.

Within moments the party was in full swing and the corridors were filled with jovial voices and excitable laughter as the drink flowed freely.

***

"What does the navigation computer have to say?"

"We're still on course, though it'll still be at least twenty thousand years before we reach our destination."

"I just hope that by the time we arrive, our destination is still there."

"It will be." The man smiled, confidently, and rightly so. He had calculated the journey himself, back on Earth almost seventeen million years prior. "As we speak, Alpha One is in the midst of a geological era similar to our Neolithic period. The planet currently supports more species of flora and fauna than any of us ever saw back on Earth, and quite possibly more than have ever existed on our home world."

"You seem so sure, Andrew..."

"It's my job to be sure, Ursula," Andrew replied, smiling as he reached out with his fingers towards his wife's cheek. "The only reason you and I, along with our children, are on this ship, is because I was able to prove beyond every measureable doubt that Alpha One is capable of sustaining our species and eventually, enabling the human race to flourish and live beyond the projections of the twenty-third century."

***

23.57

The day was almost at an end. For almost the seventeen millionth occasion, Evacuation Day was drawing to a close.

Evacuation Day. August 13th, 2280. The day one million people boarded the Caracas.

Evacuation Day. August 13th, 2280. The day that every member of the human race, other than those on board the Caracas, died.

Evacuation Day. August 13th, 2280. The day that one million people would never forget, and would ensure their descendants always commemorated.

22.59

"It's almost time, my love." Ursula smiled, weakly. This was the part she hated, counting the seconds down to midnight, whereupon it would be an entire year before she saw the look upon her husband's face once again.

"Don't worry, Ursula," Andrew replied, a tear in his eye. "These coming years will fly by, and we'll be setting foot on Alpha One before you know it.

00.00

And everybody disappeared, as did the bunting and the trestle tables. All evidence that the Caracas was inhabited vanished, once again leaving only the off-yellow emergency lighting in key areas of the ship.

In twelve months time on August 13th, the ship's computer would once again instigate the Evacuation Day protocol and whilst those million people slept, frozen in Hibernation Sleep for the duration of the incredibly long journey, holographic representations would celebrate on their behalf, their memories stored on the Caracas' hard drive, ready to download upon the vessel's arrival at Alpha One.

Evacuation Day. August 13th, 2280. The day the human race saved itself.