Chapter 27: Principal's Office

"..Alex, ever since you've started here at Valerie Nixon you've been nothing but trouble. I'm concerned attending school with Hayes and Taylor was not a good decision." Principal Rivers finishes. I'm still in the office for telling off that rotten girl in English.

"I am sorry Principal Rivers but I am not trouble! Your students are the ones causing trouble! They've divided themselves into these silly teams because they think they have a say in who Hayes dates! I want nothing to do with this, but that girl was so rude to me over it! I had to say something!" I explain to her. Principal Rivers leans back in her chair, putting on her reading glasses. She takes a stack of paper and throws them across the desk, landing right in front of me. Haylex vs. Tayes twitter screenshots.

"So, explain to me how all of this started, Alex." 

I take a deep breath. "Taylor and Hayes have always been friends, I'm sure you know that. And Hayes is kind of famous, i'm sure you know that too. When Hayes and I began dating, Taylor turned psycho on him, then revealing that she's had feelings for him the whole time. A bunch of events led to Hayes and I breaking up, then Taylor and Hayes kind of becoming an item. That's what kind of split his fan-base into two 'teams'." I wave my fingers in air quotes. "Once Hayes and I got back together, the problem went away. But a week ago, Hayes was in a certain, erm, state of mind that wasn't necessarily stable, and Taylor took advantage of it and kissed him, and all this mess just came back again. It is so out of hand." I sigh.

A long silence passes, but it isn't awkward. Principal Rivers is absorbing all of the information I gave her. And i'm just replaying all the crazy events of these past months.

"Alex, have you ever considered that maybe Hayes isn't mature enough for the kind of relationship you're ready for?" Principal Rivers breaks the silence.

I am stunned. "W-what? No, this is Taylor's fault, not his! Why haven't you interrogated her?" 

"I am not interrogating you. And think about it Alex, Hayes knew Taylor had feelings for him but never told you until you had to find out for yourself. Taylor did not kiss him because he was drunk, Taylor kissed him because he probably invited it. i've watched your boyfriend for three years now. I know exactly who he is and exactly how he acts." She says.

"Drunk? Who said anything about Hayes being drunk?" I say nervously. I cannot have Hayes get in trouble for this. 

"I'm not stupid. I know what you meant. Don't worry, I'm not going to 'Snitch' as you kids say." Principal Rivers assures me, making me a little relieved. "As I was saying, I don't think Hayes has feelings for Taylor but I do think he's a 14 year old boy who can't handle the commitment you're asking of him."

Another silence passes. Now it's uncomfortable. A lot of tension. Hayes means everything to me. I see what she's saying, boys can be immature, but I don't believe he can't handle us. He wants this, I know he does. 

"I don't know.." I trail off, not thinking there's much else I can say.

"Just think it over, Alex." She takes her glasses off and stands. "You're free to go."

I nod and stand to exit, turning to her office door. "And Alex?" 

I stop, not turning to look at her. 

"Please don't call anyone else a 'twat' during school hours." A small smile tugs at the corner of my lips as I exit.

________________________________________

"....And she didn't call mom?" Harvey asks me, driving me home from school. I just got done telling him what had happened in the Principal's office.

"Nope. She even said 'Twat'. She turned out to be way cooler than I thought she would be." I say, honestly, turning up the radio. 

I try to push back what she said to me about Hayes. It was a little intense, but I guess it gave me something to think about. A depressing thing to think about.

Harvey pulls into our driveway. I hop out of the passenger seat and run into the house. My mom is in the living room watching Family Feud. "Hi mom." I lean down to hug her. She kisses my cheek and pats my back. I feel so much better when she does. Sometimes a hug from my mom is all the therapy I need. 

"How was school?" She asks me.

"All good." I tell her, walking upstairs. I open my bedroom door and scoop up Douglas from his terrarium and throw my school bag to the floor. 

"I missed you Doug." I kiss his shell and fall onto my bed. I pull out my phone and checked my texts.

Essie: I heard you told Melanie Barton she was a twat?? RIGHT ON!

Jason: MY LIFe IS EMPTY WITHOUT YOU IN THIS SCHOOL MY SWEET

Hayes: Didn't get to kiss you before getting on the bus today :( rode home sad and lonely.

I chuckle at Hayes' text and reply. 

Me: You'll get kisses tomorrow. xx

Hayes: Fine. I'll just wait. How was principal rivers' office?

Me: How'd you know about that?

Hayes: Word travels fast. So how was it?

Me: Uneventful.

Hayes: Lies. Come on, boo. Tell me.

Me: Boo?

Hayes: Yes. Boo. Quit stalling. 

I groan and look at Douglas, he trudges slowly around my bed. "I gotta talk to him, Doug, don't I?" I ask.

Doug turns around and stares at me. In turtle, that means "Yes mother Alex." 

"You're always right Doug." I shrug and dial Hayes' number. Time for serious relationship chiz.

XXXXxxxXXxxXXxxxXxxXXXXxxxxXxxXXxXX

WOWEE IM GETTING ALMOST GOOD AT UPDATING!!! No one really reads this story anymore but I'm just doing this to keep a promise I made to myself. If you liked it, please make sure to VOTE, COMMENT and ADD!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

QOTD: What are some cute pet names Hayes can start annoying Alex with?

-Maya