Chapter 17

Chapter Seventeen

Eleanor POV

"Perfect," Zayn mumbled bitterly as the sound of heavy thunder rolled over our heads, mixed with the sound of sudden, tormenting rain hitting the roof. I glanced at Zayn who was standing in front of the door, a duffled bag in his hands. I had mine set on the table in front of me, but when I turned to grab it, I saw Louis take it instead. I found it unfair that he had to carry both his and my bag, but he cut me off before I could say anything.

"I've got it," He said under his breath. His eyes looked upset-his whole face looked worried. I could see Claire's blood on his arms, and I could feel my eyes watering at the gruesome sight. Of course I couldn't help looking down at the man I had shot-but I had to do it.

He almost killed Claire.

"Harry," Niall said softly, pulling his bag behind him, "we have to go."

I had Claire's bag packed, though I couldn't bring all her things since she had so much more than we did, since she was a permanent resident here.

"I'll take care of the bodies." Liam suggested grimly. "But we can't stay here. I know someone must've heard the shots-in a few minutes, the police could be here."

But where else could we go?

We had nowhere...

Louis glanced at me over his shoulder and I froze in horror. I knew the one place we could go, but we couldn't go there!

"No," I said immediately. "We can't go there. We can't."

"Come on, Eleanor," Louis said, gesturing for me to start walking. His dark blue eyes stared expectantly at me.

"But we can't just walk in there with-" I couldn't finish my sentence; instead, I looked back at Claire just in time to see Harry stand over the man's body who I killed.

"You bastard," Harry snarled quietly, bringing forth his hand and aiming a pistol right at the man's already bloody face. "You fucking bastard!"

"Harry-no!" Louis shouted just before Harry began pulling the trigger, firing off several shots. I quickly covered my ears, my eyes unable to look away as the man's face splattered in a horrific mess of demolished skin and torrents of blood. It looked like he was smashing an orange, except it was with a human face, and the horrible stench of metallic blood hit the air, mixed with the strong smell of gunpowder from the shots.

Liam had to grab Harry from behind, pinning his arms behind his back and taking the gun. By now, Harry was breathing heavily, his entire body now completely covered in blood-fresh blood-and eyes glaring hatefully at the shattered man lying on the floor.

"Come on, mate," Liam grumbled, stuffing the gun in the back of his pants, "let's get the fuck out of here, yeah?"

I was shaking now, tearing my eyes off the dead body to see Niall crouching next to Claire, about to pick her up.

"Get the fuck away from her," Harry growled quietly, his body snapping into motion and gathering Claire into his arms. Niall backed off instantly, sharing a glance with Liam who just shrugged. "I've got her."

His voice had softened at that I've got her, and I saw the raw emotions cross his face when he looked over Claire once again. With utmost tenderness and fragileness, Harry picked Claire up and his face had turned completely emotionless-his typical façade.

His eyes met mine, and he knew I saw it. I saw the emotions in his face when he looked over Claire.

I knew he cared for her. You'd have to be blind not to notice it. Harry thought he was subtle; he thought nobody else knew about how he really felt about the redheaded girl in curled to his chest. But even Louis knew-we've spoken about it many times before.