Chapter 6

Chapter Six

"Here you go," Ana cooed to baby Harry, setting a plate of baby food set out before him. She had went off to fill him up a drink, deciding on giving him some juice. Their fridge was pretty much empty by now, but luckily, they just had enough juice for Harry. Ana put on a bright smile as she walked back to Harry, who, to her dismay, had yet to take his pacifier out of his mouth. His wide, green eyes were watching her intently, his wide, baby cheeks flushed from her trying to teach him how to walk earlier.

He still stumbled here and there, though Ana could see that his legs were getting stronger by each and every day. This was the sole reason why she really, really wanted to have him drink milk, but they didn't have any right now.

"Here's some juice," She said chirpily, holding back a wince when she accidentally bumped into the counter too hard where a bruise was. She hid the pain easily underneath her son's watching gaze, not wanting him to know she was in pain.

"I want you to eat, okay?" She said, pointing to the food. She glanced back at the clock-she had no idea when her husband was to return. He hadn't been at the house in two days now, and he was bound to return sometime. She sighed before tucking a dark curl behind her ear, "Please eat for me? Here, let Mommy help you."

She reached forward to take the pacifier from his mouth, and as soon as it came out, Harry started to wail. His face twisted, and his mouth opened to let out a disagreeing scream. His little legs kicked against the seat, his arms flailing, trying to reach for his beloved pacifier. Ana felt terrible, but she had to have Harry sucking on his pacifier more than normal. When Daryl was home, he didn't want to hear a baby crying or screaming, so basically, the pacifier was what was keeping her baby boy safe. Ana hated seeing him like this; she felt like some kind of bully, taking something like this from him. But he was a growing boy, and he needed to eat.

"Go on, Hazza, eat," Ana urged over his wailing, putting the pacifier away on the counter. He only continued to wail, his voice going right through her, his emerald eyes now a bright red from crying. Tears were streaming down his face, and he was searching aimlessly for the pacifier.

"Shh," She said, reaching forward to dab at his small cheeks with a napkin to dry his tears. "Don't cry, baby boy, okay? I just want you to eat. The sooner you eat, the sooner you get your pacifier." She put on a smile, knowing he didn't understand a word she said. She picked up the spoon and shoveled a good amount of baby food, holding it up so he could see it.

"Open your mouth," She instructed gently. His mouth technically was open, but she wasn't going to dump food in it while he was full-on screaming right now.

A car door closed outside, and Ana froze, her head turning to peer through the window. She barely caught a glimpse of her husband getting out of the car, heading towards the house.

Shit.

Ana dropped the spoon of food and scrambled for the pacifier; her breathing had picked up, her heart beat accelerating. If Daryl had walked in here to find a wailing Harry, surely he would have a cow.

She popped the pacifier in Harry's mouth, and the boy immediately stopped crying. He sucked on it in content, his body stilling after he finally got back what he wanted. Ana knew he was a stubborn boy; he wouldn't stop fighting until he got what he wanted.

"I'll feed you later," She whispered, pulling him out of the chair and dashing into the back bedroom. She set Harry in his crib, pulling the bars up and running a hand through his curly hair. He had been born with a thick head of hair; some babies were born bald or with thin hair. Her baby boy was born with curls, and he was her little angel.