The Journey Begins

"Take care of yourself." Mum whispered as she hugged me tight one last time. Her sweet scent of bread , was one of the things I loved about her.

"I will." I mumbled under my breath but seemed to hear it and gave a content sigh. I gave her what seemed like a smile which she gladly accepted.

"You don't need to prove your worth , Es. No matter what , you will always be my princess." Father said with one final hug and stepped back.

Werlina gestured us to follow her , which we did after one final wave. Today of all days she had on her shoulders 'Rowena' her pet eagle. Rowena was very alert and attentive by the look of her body language. She was very stiff showing her extreme alertness.

Werlina walked us to the gardens of the palace where the pond was situated. Werlina stopped a couple of steps before the pond and bent down. She turned something on the ground which I later noticed was a lid covering the entrance of a tunnel.

Werlina lifted off the lid and brushed her hands against it. It had the crest of Aramanda on it and it gave off the look of am ancient relic.

"This was a tunnel once used by our forefathers to secure their families in a safer place during times of unexpected attack there is also another one in the castle but we haven't been able to find it. This tunnel will lead you to the Jem river which once crossed will take you to Ethica. A word of warning ; do not by any chance let go of each for greed and address the tribals with extra respect , they may be needed in the future." Werlina said. She waved her hand to let us know that it was time to go.

I gave her one last smile and climbed down the rope into the tunnel. It was good thing that I forced my parents to agree and let us girls wear khaki pants or shorts but they did force is to take at least one long gown for the sake of taking it. But I'm pretty sure we won't be wearing it at all .

I was followed by John, who rushed upto my side because he wasn't fond of the dark. John was followed by Christopher who had first insisted to be the last one to go out if his sheer royal politeness but in the end Werlina forced him to jump in.

Christopher was followed in by Silvia who whimpering because she hated the dark and the tunnel because of its creepy insects (not that I'm fond of insects either). She was 'gently' lifted in by my idiotic brother who felt that she was too delicate and fragile like flower.

John suppressed a laugh when he say me imitating Silvia being a fragile. He agreed that he wasn't impressed by her acting skills. Now that's why I like John more than Christopher. John and I share a lot in common.

Soon after Silvia came in Daniel , who was too worried about Silvia to notice anyone else. He hugged her and asked if she was alright to which she nodded still whimpering but while all this was going on , I was reminded of what Jenifer had told me of Silvia's past.

"Everyone has a past Esther . It is what makes them who they are. It was your friendship with Daniel that taught you horse riding and open mindedness. It taught you to step up for what you thought was right."

"She was groomed from childhood by her mother to behave , talk and be like lady. The one that the society made , docile , dutiful submissive and obdient. After her mother's demise Silvia took it on herself."

Soon after Silvia came down Jason. He was a bit unsure at first but he was fine by the time he reached down. He gave triumphant smile and informed us that Werlina had gone back to the castle to get the food bag which unfortunately someone had left behind so Jenifer would have to wait for a while.

"Esther , hey !" He said as he walked upto to me. I smiled as him.

"So how do you think we're going to walk down the tunnel once the lid closes ?" He asked trying to point out that I had forgotten to light the fire.

"I'm on it." John said as he rubbed the fire stone on a long branch of a tree which lit up almost immediately.

"So , any bruises from you climb into the tunnel ?" He asked with smirk , because he knew my reply very well. Jason often started up a conversation with something of this sort , a topic I could rant on and on about all day. At times when I ranted , my eyes would fall on his smirking but attentive face and I would be reminded on Dan.

Jason was almost like Dan to me. He lacked only on thing that Dan had. Memories. Jason was definitely who was , a tall headstrong , humorous boy equipped with the skill of patience. Just like Dan he would listen to me with utmost patience and wouldn't interrupt me even once. Perhaps I only spoke to him because he was really like Dan.

"I make sure to check if the ground is strong enough to carry my weight. I watch my step and I suppose you should too." I replied , teasing him. This was our way to spark up a fiery conversation

"The firmness of the ground cannot tell what is beneath it. Who knows , someday,  with your trust on the firmness of the ground , you may stand on a cobra." He shot back with his witty remark.

"If I , heaven forbid , ever did then I'd have the certainty of someone having my back." I replied cooly. My eyes wandered away from him to Dan , who was staring at us. His hands were interwined with Silvia's who was smiling at him.

With a sudden, rumble Jenifer climbed down the tunnel , surprising us all. She carried with her a box of food and two flasks of water. She smiled at all of us triumphantly.

"Children, I'm closing the lid. Take care of yourselves and may the Lion of Judah Protect you from evil." Werlina said as she closed the lid tightly after quoting the Lostoringian words of departure.

"We go onward , at the very end of the tunnel there will be a door to which the key is a puzzle. Once we solve it we'll be at the very bed of the Jem river." Jenifer said as we walked ahead.