The Royal Ball

The curtains parted and the crowds gave a collective audible gasp. I wanted to run away but kept myself from doing so.

"And now I present before you , the Princess of Aramanda, Esther Judith Anderson !" Called out the announcer who stood somewhere in the balcony.

I gave a gentle bow or you could say I tried. My hands were shaking but I tried to hide it by clasping my hands together. I slowly walked down the round stairs and flashed every one a bright smile which I learnt was a way to win everyone's hearts.

As soon as I stepped down the stairs , the people resumed talking to themselves. I thought of looking for John who had to be here somewhere. As I slowly searched for him, a princess and a prince walked upto me.

"Princess Esther , it's a pleasure to meet you. If I may , I'd like to introduce myself as prince James of Braceland and this is my sister Princess Joanna." The Prince of Braceland introduced himself.

He was a tall boy with white blonde hair and still grey eyes. He seemed friendly and a genuine person. He wore a happy smile on his long face.

To his right was a girl about my age with her hair nicely done up. She had lovely green eyes and perfect shaped lips. She gave me a sweet smile.

"Oh the pleasure is all mine." I replied with yet another smile. He seemed as the to be open and free minded.

My eyes all of a sudden fell on a boy who stood not very far away from where I stood. He had deep brown hair almost black the shade and style of his hair so familiar that I could recognise him anywhere. Dan.

How he had changed ! I remember him as the concerned village boy who was my best friend but now it seems as though I don't even know him. I wonder if he knows about the nights I cried for him. For him to come back and be the same boy he was. I would give up my crown for him to come back.

My thoughts came to an abrupt end when someone tapped my arm. I turned around to find Jason in fine fitting suit looking tall and calm. His blue eyes sparkled under the light of the fire that lit the rooms.

"Princess Esther of Aramanda may I have a word with you ?" He asked with a smirk that indicated his amusement when he called me a princess.

"You may." I said as imposingly I could to emphasise on my amusement too. He seemed to get that and he chuckled softly looking at the floor.

"Would please introduce me to your guests ?" He asked cheerfuly, this was one of the charechters that I admired about him the most.

"Prince James and Princess Joanna , it's with great pleasure that I introduce my good friend Jason to you." I said smiling at the both of them who were happy to learn more about people of their age.

"Your majesties, I am David Samson Jacobs commonly known as Jason by friends and if you consider me one , I'd like you to call me by that name too." He said with a bow and look of humble request in his eyes.

"Very well, we shall address you as Jason amongst ourselves or among friends but you'll have to excuse us when you call you by your real name in front of father , mother or any other royal." James said with a curt smile.

"I'm sure I won't mind." Jason said with a laugh.

"They say one must choose their friends wisely. Esther , it seems you are mingling with those whom you don't know." someone spoke from behind me but I could recognise that voice - Daniel.

"I make sure that I do not let go of a person whom I address as a friend easily but I fear that you might be a victim of it." I said as venomously as I could.

"My dear Princess , I follow the law. I follow the society, I follow it's teachings for it has never been wrong before and it never will be. If my friendship meant anything to anyone they'd understand my position and help me." He replied his voice laced with anger that looked anyone's though it might explode at any moment now.

"I suppose , need to be excused for the moment , I'm sorry for the inconvenience Prince James and Princess Joanna but I must have a word with this boy." I said as they nodded excusing me.

I dragged Dan by the hand and took him outside to the garden. It was a very peaceful place to at night , the green shrubs and the lovely flowers that stood out in the dark.

The stars were brightly shining and we're carefully placed in the painting of the night sky. The moon seemed to be shining with its full might and glory perhaps because the pond reunited it with its long lost twin who must have disappeared years ago and in his long quest found him in our pond.

The lovely Lotus that bloomed in our pond looked heavenly under the light of the moon and I could barely imagine it's beauty with the reflection of the pond.

It was such a beautiful scene , a perfect scene for lovers but here I stood before the boy who left me for the society for the people who were to follow my orders very soon.

"What do you think you were doing ?" I shouted at him letting go of all the rage I had bottled up within.

"I was making sure people know of your charechter before they make friends out of you." He replied as angrily as he could, his eyes screaming with fury.

"Well, if that's the case I should ask you to stop associating with people. I'm confident that they wouldn't want to associate with a traitor who in the near future would leave their side for what the society speaks of." I replied with as much venom I could but that feeling of betrayal still hung within my heart.

"I am following what is right , I am following what the society has been following for centuries and I know I am doing it right." He said bit I feel his lack of confidence and I decided to grab onto it.

"Well, I see you fail to realise that I will be heading them so I will decide what is right and what is wrong. I will make the laws and this gender bias is the first I will change." I said grimly and he was speechless.

I stared into his deep chocolate brown pools that were once symbols of our friendship but now they held nothing but betrayal and broken friendships. How things change in a fraction of a second ? How people change ! How they used to be and how they are now !

"Princess Esther ?" I heard someone call and I turned around. There behind the rose bushes stood Prince James of Braceland. I smiled at him as happily as I could but all of a sudden I heard the rustling of leaves from behind me.

I looked up to find a familiar looking creature either yellow eyes and ghastly green hair. It's body covered in scales and it was only clothes in rags. It had six black beads on its neck and both its hands. I could recognise them anywhere.

"Nerezza. .." I whispered