Quest

The creatures stared at me as they charged towards us. I was rooted to my spot when Dan took hold of my hand and dragged me , for a moment I didn't realise that he had taken a hold of my hand. But as soon as I did realise , I jerked my hand away from him.

"Really ?" He asked.

"Yes. I am not a damsel in distress. Warn the others inside , I'll try to keep them off." I said as I stopped running.

"Are you crazy ? Have you lost your mind ? I am not leaving you alone in danger. Take James with you. Go !" He shouted as the sound of the screaming Nerezzas was drowning his voice.

"I am the princess of this kingdom and you as a citizen are to follow my orders. This your duty as a citizen and if you are so fond if the society I'd let you know the society follows my orders so you better follow mine." I said with a voice of command. At this moment I was thankful that I had carried a dagger with me for safety purposes.

"Yes, your majesty." He said in a voice of retreat and approach of anger. He took off with James and I faced the Nerezza, who were approaching me with great speed.

* * *

"Esther !" John called as the last of the Nerezza left. I turned around to find him a little dishevelled but calm.

"Are you alright ?" He asked concerned. I looked at myself for a moment. My neatly tied hair was now left open , my stay had been damaged so it was fair to say that my dress was quiet torn from the bottom. My arms were totally bruised but my face fortunately was unharmed but there was a big bruise on my forehead.

John tentaitively touched the bruise and I winced. He took back his hand and dragged me inside.

"You kept the Nerezza away for quiet sometime. That gave us a head start for us to send the princesses , queens , minister's and ambassadors wives and daughters to a safer place in the third floor balcony. Hopefully, the Nerezza never reached till there." He explained as I walked into the great hall.

Both my fathers came rushing to me and checked for any bruises. I told them I was fine but they refused to listen.  My mother  was fussing over me while I heard the guests murmur and look at me with pity. Queen Apolla stood aside fussing over Christopher.

"James ?" Someone from the crowds called. I soon enough recognised it as King Jacob of Braceland. He was a tall man in his middle ages with a french beard , he had a chiseled face and high cheek bones.

"Where Daniel ?" I asked John immediately because Prince James was under his care. I looked up to where John had pointed to find Daniel clutching onto the wall.

"Here !" He called shaking his hands to make his presence known. He seemed tired and out of breath as though he had fought with all his might.

"Where's James ?" I asked.

"I don't know ." He replied still catching onto his breath.

"What do you mean , you don't know ?" I asked. I had put James under his care, could he not take care of a single individual ?

"I lost him in a battle with Nerezza. " his reply was as though he didn't care.

"I give you one person to take care of and you lose him ?! Daniel , are you in your senses ?" I asked outraged at his negligence.

"I saved several lives today ! What goes if I couldn't save one ?"

"That's where you are wrong my friend. Perhaps you may not know but that one meant might have meant more than a precious jewel to many of those you do not know of." I replied so disgusted at his behaviour, what happened to him ?

"My son !" King Jacob called. He had a look of fear in his eyes that indicated his fatherly concern for his son. Queen Rachel on hearing quickly came upto her husband with tears in her eyes.

Queen Rachel was a middle aged lady with deep blonde hair with brunette tinge. She had plump pink lips which she bit to retrain her tears at the moment. Her fair skin had turned pale hearing that her son was in fatal danger.

"Peter , you are a host and it is your duty to provide your guests with security that is trustworthy. I am ashamed to have allies with you , you couldn't protect our son. We have endured for too long , we can't sit still ! He took my son for this peasantry daughter of yours who may not even be biological! " King Jacob cried in rage while Queen Rachel wept in his arms. Princess Joanna joined in and the family sobbed for their son.

"Don't you dare call my daughter a peasant! " father raised his voice , something I never expected to hear.

"Peter , look at her. She is not a princess , she isn't worthy of being one ! Look at her gown now in rags and her hand carries a dagger. A symbolism of war , which she has already begun and not forget that your wife is related by blood to that witch of a sister she has. The witch who disrupted the peace in all our lands ! We cannot afford to lose our children , first Joseph and Ruth and now Rachel and I." King Jacob said. With each sentence, my heart shattered, another reason for me to be heart pressed.

"King Jocob , I am extremely sorry for causing the abduction of your son. But whether I be a princess or a peasant, it is my duty as a citizen to defend my people from danger and I assure you , your majesty , that I will bring back your son as long as you have faith in me. I fully agree when you say that I'm not the kind to be a perfect prince and I am proud to be known as a peasant and I a mere peasant shall escort your son back home. I leave tomorrow, anyone willing to join me can speak to me. Werlina may I have a word with you ?" I said as I made my way out of the throne room.

I immediately regretted every word I said. I knew it was an impulse that I shouldn't have followed but I couldn't just sit and watch my father fighting my battles. I had to let people know that I'm independent and I can make my own decisions.