Chapter 9: Old Friends

As soon as Justin had left, Lynne immediately reported to Captain Abraham Grant in order to give him the latest update on things. But right as she walked into his office she heard the faint clanging of a bottle coming from behind his desk, and knew right away he was trying to hide his alcoholism from her again. Only, she knew him better than he thought, and the moment she met his eyes she could see the guilt staring right back at her. She was angry with him over it but also knew now wasn't the time to bring up the issue. There were far more important things to discuss and she didn't feel like playing chaperone to a man in his early fifties. He knew better than to drink with his medical condition, but didn't seem to care.

"Nice to see you," he greeted her with a friendly smile as he stood up from his chair next, pretending as though everything were fine.

"I trust that you have an update for me regarding Atlantech's project?"

"I do, Captain," she replied with a salute and a hard stare. "But I'm afraid you won't like the news."

"And why would you believe that?" He stroked his chin.

Lynne sighed with disappointment and bowed her head. "Well, because I haven't exactly received an answer from Corporal Church yet. However, he has informed me that he will think it over."

"I see," Grant replied as his smile faded. "Well you're right, I don't like the news but at the same time we haven't any reason to give up hope just yet. He said he will consider the offer, that's better than a flat out no."

As Lynne listened to his words she couldn't help but stare at his features. His small brown eyes with their serious gaze, and his smooth dark brown hair flecked with gray, all reminded her of her father. She remembered they had even served together in the past and became close friends. Grant had even been like a god father to her for most of her life and was now the closest thing to a family she had left. But unfortunately he was very sick and this worried her deeply.

"I suppose it is, Captain," she sighed. "But I can't help but worry that he's going to decide not to help us after all. And I'm afraid without him we are lost."

"Oh that's nonsense," Grant disagreed curtly. "The AMF has been around for well over a hundred years, and since then we've come a long way even without the help of some young genius."

"He detests that label, Captain," Lynne felt the need to mention now for Justin's sake. "And if we're going to get anywhere with him at all, I feel it would be in our best interest not to anger him."

"Understandable," Grant nodded. "And I completely agree. But we can't put all our eggs into one basket here. Atlantech has always been more than reliable regarding any developments, and I'm sure they could pull through for us on this one too."

"I'm not denying Atlantech's importance at all," Lynne replied. "And I also agree that they have come through for us many times in the past. But we can't forget our biggest mistake either. I even took the liberty of showing Corporal Church the remnants from that wreckage even though his reaction wasn't the most favorable. He went as far to accuse me of trying to guilt him into helping us."

"Why are you still obsessed with that mess?" Grant suddenly asked then. "You make it sound as though it's bound to happen again if Corporal Church refuses to help."

Lynne looked down at the ground as the image of her father's sorrowful face flashed through her mind.

"This is all about your father isn't it?" Grant spoke as he moved over and gently placed a hand on her shoulder. "And don't tell me it isn't because I know you better than anyone around here."