Chapter Fourteen: September 11th, 2002 ||One Year Later|| Final Chapter

Start from the beginning

"I don't blame you Emily. I don't blame Alfred either. The two of you did all you could for all of us. Yes, there are those who saw more could have been done to prevent this from happening. But all you need to know is that I don't blame you. Now, let's go get something to eat before the wolves start to gather."

York and I went to the place we went to eat before the meeting a year ago to get some food. I wasn't that hungry to begin with. The appetite I usually have, was gone. After eating, we made our way to Ground Zero. The place I decided the press conference would be held. I was nervous. So, so nervous. I have never been so nervous in my entire life. As I stepped up to the podium I could feel all their eyes staring at me. Some with disgust and overs with concerning questions that they just want answered. With a deep breath I looked out over where the Twin Towers use to stand before turning around to face the press.

"Alright everyone, thank you all for coming! We're going to start the press conference now. Miss Jones will answer as many questions as she can, but please, do not bombard her with questions you know she has no answer to!" York announced to all of the reporters.

One by one reporters started to raise their hands to ask me questions. I looked to York. Giving him a look say that I wanted him to choose those to ask their questions. I wasn't in the mood to do so.

"Alright... how about you there, up front."

I look up to see a women with short blonde hair hold a microphone in her hand.

"Yes, Miss Jones. Go you agree with the President's decision on sending troops over to Afghanistan? A country obvious looking for a fight against us."

"Well, it's not my place to question my boss' military decision..."

"So, you're saying that you agree with the President then?"

"I didn't say that. All I'm saying is that everyone needs to understand that if we sit around and do nothing it will show those who attacked us that America is weak. That's not who we are. Those who are overseas fight for us need our support. We can't afford to be fight with each other."

"Speck of which Miss Jones, your brother and our other country representative, Alfred F. Jones, over in Afghanistan fighting alongside with our troops. What are you doing?"

"I...I" What was I doing? For the past year, I've been too scared to face my people. Too scared to face them and tell them that I had no answers. "Th-this was a bad idea. I'm not ready for all these tough questions."

I think York could tell that I was quickly becoming overwhelmed by everything. He quickly walked up to the podium to take my place for answering questions.

"Alright, Miss Jones seems to be not feeling well. So as the representative for the state of New York, I'll be taking over. To answer that last question, Miss Jones has been recovering from her own injurious she sustained while being buried alive along with myself at this very place only a year ago. Mr. Jones wanted his sister to rest and get better while he led troops overseas."

I listened as York did such a great job at answering all the questions that were thrown at him. I really am broken. Before what happened last year I would've been able to answer any question those vulchers threw at me. But now, I'm only a shadow of my formal self. Listened to question after question and answer after answer between York and the reporters. Arguments started to ring out, and I was trying so hard to zone them out. But I then heard five words that suddenly snapped me back.

"We don't need this war!!" I heard one reporter shoot out.

How could they say that? Did they expect us to just sit back and do nothing after what they did? I wasn't going to sit back anymore and let everyone else fight for me. I pulled out my hand gun a fired off one round into the air. Right away, everyone became silent.

"Emily, that's dangerous!" York slightly yelled at me.

"I'm sorry, but I can't stand by anymore! What I just heard made me realize something. That I have to stand up and take charge while my brother is away fighting to protect our freedom. But, I have a few things to say before I call an end to this press conference."

I took a deep breath. I looked to the sky, to York, to Ground Zero behind me and then to the crowed again. It's time for this heroine to make a comeback.

"I hear people saying we don't need this war. But, I say there's something worth fighting for. What about our freedom, and this piece of ground? We didn't get to keep 'em by backing down. They say we don't realize the mess we're getting in. Before you start your preaching let me ask you this my friend. Have you forgotten, how it felt that day? To see your homeland under fire, and her people blown away. Have you forgotten, when those towers fell? We had neighbors still inside going thru a living hell. And you say we shouldn't worry 'bout bin Laden. Have you forgotten?"

I suddenly felt so empowered. I had to be the voice for all those who lost their lives a year ago today. I just had to. As I looked over the crowed, I could see that there were still a few who wore disgusted looks, and they were towards me. I didn't let them get to me. I had to finish what I wanted to say.

"I've noticed that they took all the footage off my T.V. Said it's too disturbing for you and me. It'll just breed anger, is what the experts say. If it was up to me I'd show it every day. Some say this country's just out looking for a fight. Well after 9/11 man I'd have to say that's right. Have you forgotten, how it felt that day? To see your homeland under fire, and her people blown away. Have you forgotten when those towers fell? We had neighbors still inside going thru a living hell. And we vowed to get the one's behind bin Laden. Have you forgotten?"

I looked to York to see him wearing a smile. I could tell that he was proud of me. I've finally found the self-confidence I had lost that day. It was all rushing back to me. And I knew that if Alfred was standing right beside me. He would be proud of me too. Just thinking of Alfred made me want to cry. I miss him so much. I was there with him when he had to leave. I had even gone over to Afghanistan once, because our boss asked me to. And that's when I remembered our brave soldiers. Not only that, but those in Pennsylvania and the Pentagon.

"I've been there with the soldiers, who've gone away to war. And you can bet that they remember just what they're fighting for! Have you forgotten, all the people killed? Yes, some went down like heroes, in that Pennsylvania field. Have you forgotten, about our Pentagon? All the loved ones that we lost, and those left to carry on. Don't you tell me not to worry about bin Laden. Have you forgotten?"

I had finally said what I wanted to say in thefirst place. All the self-doubt was finally gone. I simply turned, grabbed Yorkby the hand and walked off the stage. I had said what I wanted, what the pressdid next was up to them. But, I'm not going to let what happened to me keep mefrom what I need to do. I need to be strong for my country, my people, but mostof all for my brother. While he's fighting to keep us all safe, I'll hold downthe fort here and I'll wait for our HERO to return home.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you all enjoyed this. Sorry it took so long to finish. Let's remember our troops and those who lost their lives on this day. They will never be forgotten as long as we stand tall and strong together. As long as the Eagle still flies as a symbol of our Freedom.