Chapter 11

Read! Comment! Point out Errors! Enjoy!

When we arrived at school, the kids that were packed away like sardines flowed out the door. The last kids on the bus were me, Greg, Kota, and Rabbit Fur. Sure Greg was waiting for us to be alone for retaliation; I stood to leave the bus. It didn't make sense to put off my punishment. As soon as I stood up, Greg stood up. Not surprised, I swiftly walked down the aisle. What I wasn't expecting was that as soon as I passed Kota and Rabbit Fur, they stood up and filed out after me.

I have been walking around the school for the past ten minutes with Kota, Rabbit Fur, and Greg on my tail. Greg keeps on getting purpler the longer he can't get me alone. I am increasingly grateful for Kota and Rabbit Fur's kindness. The fact that they would protect some pathetic girl from getting beat up by following me all morning warmed my heart. When I finally reach my homeroom I turn to the boys.

"Thank you Kota and..."

"Nathan" a deep voice replies.

"...and Nathan. It was very sweet of you."

"It was no problem" Kota replies, his neck and cheeks flushing pink.

"Are you okay?" Nathans eyes are serious when he asks me his question.

I plaster on a fake smile and reply "I am going to be fine." One day. "On the other hand, you are not going to be because the bells about to ring." I slip into homeroom and take the only empty seat in between the Taylor brothers. I feel a bit guilty and wish I could help Kota and Nathan but what can I do? I vow to find a way to repay them.

I feel Greg's stare from across the room. He may be furious, but so am I. My fingers drum on the table and my leg shakes in anticipation. North turns around, "Are you okay Sang?" I nod insistently, confused as to why he would think otherwise. Was he friends with the others? Did they tip him off? 

"You're Sang?" I hear an excited voice exclaim. I twist around in my seat to look at the other Taylor brother, not missing the death stare given by North to him. This brother looks like a home-grown all American Californian happy surfer dude except for the fact that his skin is pale. 

I love the fact that these brothers are so different, North 100% European brooding body builder. I nod again, reverting back to bobble-head Sang. His eyes are filled with wonder, gazing at me as though I had made the earth. 

Behind him I see Greg glaring at me. Doesn't he ever give up? The bell rings so I gather my bag and rush out the door. The faster I make it to English, the safer I will be. Entering class, I sit down in a seat and wait for the seats to fill up. I look over to the side to see Luke plop down next to me. I send him a shy smile and follow the directions on the board. 

It says to take out your Poem from last night, switch with three people, then edit. Final draft due tomorrow. 5 minutes later the class was filled but still no teacher. As I look around the room, I notice Gabriel is behind me and Kota is in front of me. How did I miss that? 

Kota swivels around. "Do you guys want to get started? I'm not sure when the teacher is coming, if the teacher is coming." The Luke and Gabriel nod and switch papers. I bite my lip, feeling as though I'm taking a seat from someone else. "Aren't you going to switch with us Sang?" I look up surprised at the request. "Sure." I ended up with Kota's paper, Luke ended up with mine, Gabriel got Luke's and Kota has Gabriel's. 

My face flames up as I realize how ridiculous my poem is. It is about a little girl who sees hearts everywhere. Her parents lock her up and only let her out when she promises to never mention the hearts again. I shake off my humiliation and focus on editing Kota's. 

It was about an autopsy. Obviously, someone had an interest in science. I went through and added word suggestions here and there to change it from an autopsy to an autopsy on a live patient, from his point of view. I hoped I hadn't overstepped a boundary. I didn't scribble out any words so he could keep it the same tomorrow if he decided. After a few minutes our group had finished. "Do we want to switch again?" Luke offered. 

We switched again this time so that I had Gabriel's, Gabriel had mine, Luke had Kota's and vice versa. Gabriel's was about a lost princess in a tower and a prince pining for her from the ground. He threw apples up to her every day hoping she would eat them and think of him. One day he hit her in the head and she fell from the tower and she died. The prince felt so bad he took her to a mountaintop where he held on to her until he froze to death in the night, binding him and her together forever in ice.

There was a time I would have said it was too tragic. Too sad. I used to love the happy endings. The pain intensified in my nose mixed with my morning and this poem causes my eyes to water. Luke glances over at me. "Sang, are you crying? What the heck did you write about Gabe?" Luke grabs the paper from my table. 

"Shit, I'm sorry Sang. I didn't mean to make you cry." Gabriel sounds destroyed. "Fucking idiot" I heard him mumble under his breath. 

"Gabriel" I used a commanding tone. His poem had been beautiful. I couldn't stand to see him put himself down. "You're not an idiot. The poem was beautiful. It actually reminded me of song lyrics. It was tragic, but realistic. Sometimes the world needs to be reminded that there aren't happy endings. Sometimes people die." I pause then continue "You're poem didn't make me cry...well it did...it was more a combination of things. I enjoyed your poem. You have some incredible talent." 

Gabriel offers me a hesitant smile. "You really think so?" 

 "I know so." The bell rings as we all shuffle the papers back to their original owners. Kota looks at me in amazement. 

"Wow Sang, you really transformed my poem. It is actually good now." A smile crept onto my face at the praise. 

"It was all you; I just adjusted a few words."

I make my way to math. I saw Nathan and North walking some way behind me. I hope they are in my class. At the same time I feel guilty. Not only did my feelings for Mark end in his death, now I am crushing on...6 guys? I am ashamed of myself.  My emotions were a mess.

Math class flew by uneventfully, though I saw North sleeping through it. Nathan didn't seem to be paying much more attention. For being 'model student' they sure don't seem like good students. I stifle a giggle at my own joke and when I look back I see North staring at me. 

When the bell rings I head towards...I guess now it would be Mr. Blackbourn's office because I have free period. I could feel somebody watching me. I whipped around but saw no one. I knocked on the door and upon hearing no answer in return slipped into the office closing the door behind me. 

I was in my safe haven.

North's POV

What the hell is Sang going into Mr. Blackbourne's office for? We need a family meeting. ASAP.