Arrangements

Liberty
A week has passed since we've been couped up in the hospital. The police came to speak to Trey and I. Apparently, someone is really after us to kill us. Especially Tremaine. The solution? WITSEC or Witness Protection Program.

Trey, Judiah and I will be given new identies, a new home, and be placed in an area in the U.S where no one is likely to know us. I broke down in tears at this news. Why can't I have a normal life! Thankfully, Judiah is too young to remember all this.

Trey and I agreed for the safety of our son and ourselves. The program promises us money, new jobs, a home, and above all, security. I'm tired of running. The downside is that weren't not allowed to contact anyone from our past life under no circumstances. What will you give up for your security?

Trey will be released tomorrow and we'll be leaving as soon as he's released. Diah is almost a month old! He's grown so much this past month. As I change his diaper in my room, a nurse comes in with my dinner and places it on the counter. Gross hospital food.

"Thank you," I say while buttoning Diah's onsie that says "Momma's Boy".

"No problem," she says before leaving.

I sigh. I'm not eating that crap. When you spend a week at the hospital, you've gotta make connections like me. I pick up Judiah and put him on my shoulder. Slippers on, I walk out into the quiet hospital hallway and towards the front desk where my home girl, Kelly is.

She sees me coming and smiles. Kelly is about my age, but is still at that "I wanna turn up tonight" age. 😐 She's cute though with her dimples and upbeat attitude.

"Hey girl," she says as I approach.

The other nurse has her head glued to a phone so she ignores our conversation.

"Hey," I reply with a soft smile.

I unconsciously rub Judiah's back as we enter pleasant conversation about her work day and life and my boring life.

"Can you hook me up, Kel? I'm starving," I complain.

"What? The hospital food is providing you with all the nutrients you need," she says smartly.

I groan,"You know that crap taste like liver. You're gonna let me starve? Plus, I'm paying for it,"

She sighs,"I'm only doing this because you need the food to feed Judiah,"

I squeal and squeeze her arm,"Thank you girl!"

"Whatever," she says with a roll of her eyes,"What you want?"

"Okay, hot wings and a medium cheese pizza. I'll just have the water here. Oh and mozzarella sticks. Trey loves those." I say while she writes it down.

"Alright."

I reach into my bathroom pocket and grab the $25 to hand to her.

"You're the best."

"You don't have to remind me," she says with a wink before walking away.

It's become a daily thing. I spend almost all my time up there with Trey. We eat our meals that I order(or Kelly orders) together. I saunter back into my room and close the door behind me. If it wasn't for Judiah, I'd feel so lonely.

Trey
The smell of dinner hits my nose. I know it's Liberty with food.

"Pizza today?" I ask.

"And hot wings and mozzarella sticks," she says.

I hear her set the food down beside me. My stomach is growling. She kisses my lips.

"Hungry?" She asks.

"I'm dying," I admit.

Being blind is so tough. On top of not seeing shxt, I'm almost helpless. Liberty has been doing her best at describing everything to me, but I know she gets tired. I hear her scrambling to open the food.

"Do you want wings?" She asks me.

"Yeah,"

"Just don't dirty your sheets or nurse Jane isn't gonna let me slip by with this food anymore,"

Liberty
I stand next to Trey's bedside with a napkin to wipe his mishaps. I know it's hard on him with this blind thing. I try not to bring it up much.

"Water please. This crap is burning," he says with his tongue out.

I bring the cup of water with the straw to his mouth. He drinks deeply.

"I don't hear you eating," Trey states.

He can hear everything, it's creepy.

"I want you to get your fill, baby. I'm okay," I state while putting the cup down.

"You need to eat too, Lib. Sit down," he commands.

I take a seat and frown. The remaining food, I take and eat. Trey ends up making a mess because he refuses my help.

"I gotta learn," he states.

I burst into tears. This all could've been prevented and that's what makes it hurts the most. Trey remains quiet until I calm down.

"Babe, enough tears. You see me crying?" He asks.

I shake my head and slap myself. He can't see me.

"No," I state plainly.

"Then stop crying. We're gonna start a new life. Me, you, and Diah. You can't cry about my blindness forever,"

"I'm just pissed off Tremaine. Okay? Something was stolen from you,"

"Think about our new future,"

"I don't want a f-cking new life! I actually loved our old one," I say getting pissed off at him.

"Pass me a wet wipe," he says completely ignoring my frustration.

I grab the container and give him a wet one. I grab myself one because I've lost my appetite. He throws his into the trash with a perfect shot. Damn. I clean up our mess because, obviously, we're done talking.

"Liberty," he says while taking the hand I'm using to dust off his sheet,"Things happen unexpectedly."

"They do, don't they." I reply softly.

Author's Note
Yall should check out my books "Rise Up" and "The Colored Ones." Leave some feedback. 😋 lemme know what y'all think of this book so far too.