Crappy Sandwiches

"Hurry up, sit down, don't be late next time." All of my English teacher's favorite phrases. It was as if Mrs. Lotte had never been in a high school hallway before in her life. That was a possibility, seeing how there was a theory that Mrs. Lotte had never graduated from any school of any kind.

"Alright," she yawned, "We're going to be taking notes today. Get out your notebooks, or your computers, or whatever you write notes in."

I groaned, though it was easy, it was so boring, I mean, we learn the same grammar every year, it's not like it changes. I opened up my notebook and prepared to take notes.

"Alright so we're going to do a little bit of a review, so let's star with coordinating conjunctions, so a coordinating conjunction is-" I zoned out. I don't usually do this, I usually focus on the board and copy down the words she writes, but all I could think about was Jason... and food. Judging from my stomach, it was almost lunch time.

I glanced out the window and my eyes fixated on the trees next to the school. The leaves blew lightly in the wind and suddenly there were five minutes left in class and the teacher was calling my name.

"Meira!" Her shrill voice snapped me out of my staring contest with the tree. I wondered if it was obvious that I was staring off into space.

"Yes?" I responded.

"Well what's the answer?" The entire class stared at me and Mrs. Lotte smirked at me, knowing that I didn't know the answer.

"And." The guy sitting next to me muttered under her breath and looked at me.

"The coordinating conjunction is 'and'." I put enough confidence into my words to make it seem like I knew what I was talking about and Mrs. Lotte moved on with an annoyed look.

"Thank you." I whispered to the guy who gave me the answer. I made a mental note to figure out what his name was after class, or some other time.

Finally, after what felt like 1738 years, it was lunch. I practically ran to lunch, only to be disappointed. There were turkey sandwiches for lunch, which were crappy and I swear they were molding.

I got my lunch and looked around the cafeteria for April. She was sitting at a crowded table with some of her friends from her English class, and there were no open seats. She caught my eye and gave me an apologetic look before turning back to the conversation.

I glanced around the cafeteria only to see there were two seats left: one next to the boy I met in English class, sitting with some nerds, and the other next to Jason, sitting next to the jocks and a bunch of popular girls.

So he was that kind of guy. It didn't really matter anyway, the girls won't date him, no matter how much they flirt, he isn't their soulmate, I am.

But I was nervous and I left the scarf I used to cover my necklace in the English room. Also, I was pretty sure that if I tried to talk to Jason again, I would end up shoving my lunch tray at him and running.

I choose to sit next to English boy. When I started to walk up to him he smiled and waved me over. "Hey English Girl Who Doesn't Listen To The Lecture! What's up?"

I smirked, "Not much, and for the record, I usually listen in English, I just was very bored today. How are you, English Boy Who Listens And Gives Me The Answers?"

He smiled back at me, "I'm actually very well thanks. What brings you to sit next to me and my acquaintances?"

"Well, my friend, April, didn't save me a seat today, so I guess I have to sit next to you." I pretended to be let down.

"Which ones April?" He asked, looking around the cafeteria.

I pointed at her, "Blonde, wearing a light blue shirt-"

"I see her now." He said and looked back at me, "She seems nice."

"She is, but can we talk about how crappy these sandwiches are?"

He took a bite and make a nauseous face, "They're so disgusting!" We both laughed loudly, his nerd friends looked at us with a confused face.

"Oh, sorry guys! I haven't even introduced you to my new friend! This is-"

"Meira." I whispered only loud enough for him to hear.

"Meira." The nerds waved at me and I waved back.

"Thanks." He whispered to me.

"I owe you so..." I smiled at him

He smiled back. "I'm Thomas."

"Nice to meet you."

"Likewise." He rolled his eyes at me, playfully.

I could honestly see a new friendship in the making.