Chapter 13: Broken

..Was it a dream?

Ding-dong. My eyes open. I turn my head to my clock. 3:45pm I groan silently to myself from hearing the doorbell. Staring at the popcorn ceiling I contemplate if I should get up or not. I sit up with the sheets still on my head. I snatch them off, I put on my sandals making my way past my bedroom door. I rub my noise as I get to the front door opening it. I see a medium size box on the ground in front of me. I pick it up and close the door behind me. I grab the scissors from the kitchen and begin using the tip of them to cut where the tape is that secures the box closed. It opens a little but before I tear it completely I see a card. I grab the card sliding my finger under the sealed flap opening it. It's a Thank you card. It reads on the front "Thank you for all you've done and much more." With a butterfly at the end of the sentence. Cheesy, but sweet I guess. I open the card to see who it was from. There was cursive writing on the left side reading "Here is your money. Thank you, Love Mother."

I guess it wasn't a dream afterall.

I tear the card in multiple shreds as I feel the burning sensations from my teared up eyes. I tear it until there too small to make into smaller pieces. I open the box completely looking at the stacks of dollars, 10 dollar bills to be exact in a clear wrapping. I swipe it off the table suddenly and the tears start coming, drowning my face. I sob in my hands not knowing what to do next. I sit on the ground hugging my knees sniviling away.

Everything that happened was completely real. All of it. The party, those rude friends, the champagne. My mother, that talk. That painful talk. Ansel.... Oh god Ansel... It is all 100% real. I don't know what to do or think now. What do I do now? My head hurts so much.

I continue crying for what felt like several hours. Standing up I grab my phone from my room and scroll down the contacts to letter Q to call Quinn. I stare at my screen for a while, changing my mind I scroll up to letter A. Ansel. I call without hesitating. Almost immediately I hear him pick up.

"Xia?" He questions but he already knows its me. I don't respond. I just stand in the middle of my room in shock with the phone on my ear. Why the hell did I call him. I hear his breathing. He seems out of breath. There's nosies in te background that I can't pick up what it is. I pinch my skin while closing my eyes shut, fighting my endless tears. A whimper escapes from my mouth. "Xia." He doesn't question now. The way his voice is, sounds like he's worried. But I don't answer him. I don't answer him, even though I called him. "Please.." He says with his voice cracking. From that the pain magnifies. I squint my eyes but that doesn't stop it from hurting more. I press the end call button and hold my phone to my heart sliding down to the ground against the wall crying. Again, and again and again. Everything I felt from yesterday came back hitting me in the gut. The pain heighting, throbbing against my skin. Calling him like that was a terrible idea. It's ruining him, me. Everything is ruined. All of it..

I wake up from a loud bang against the door. I put my hand on my forehead sitting up slowly. Ouch. Did I fall asleep again? The banging continues as I slowly get up towards it. Opening the door I see a pair of green eyes and big orange hair. Quinn stares at me through the doorway holding up her phone.

"Don't answer my calls much?" She looks at me confused. She steps a little closer to me wipping the dried tear on my cheek. "Xia.. have you been crying?" I frown and look away from her, closing my eyes. I groan loudly grabbing on to her shoulders, literally falling onto her. Luckily this isn't the first time I've done this to Quinn, she catches me wrapping her thin arms around my torso. I weep on her shoulder. "Oh Xia." I grab ahold of her shirt while she rubs my back.