Chapter Thirteen: Expectations

Arya's POV

jericteng16: Jgh. Played football for the first time in my life! I suck though. Haha! @aryachen

I was smiling like an idiot as I tuck myself in bed. It's probably pass his bedtime, with the training, conditioning and all, but he is still tweeting.

@aryachen: @jericteng16 Bawi nalang sa basketball. Haha. Tulog na!

@jericteng16: @aryachen Yes boss! Goodnight! :)

I placed my phone on an empty space on my bed and was about to turn off my bedside lamp when someone knock on the door. It's almost 2am, sino naman kaya ito?

"Shobe, it's Achi." She said from behind the door. She didn't wait for a reply and turned on the knob.

"2am na kaya." I told her, lying comfortably on my bed. I just want to sleep.

"Did I just saw Jeric Teng bringing you home?" She smirked. "Kwentoooo!" She playfully tickle me on my side.

"Stalker!" I accused her.

"Excuse me. As far as I know, dito ako nakatira and I just happen to arrive home late kaya nakita ko kayo."

"Naglaro lang kami ng football." I answered nonchalantly.

She laughed in disbelief. "Si Jeric Teng?" she asked confirming. "Kamusta naman football skills niya?"

"Ano sa tingin mo?" I answered and both of us laugh.

Achi squeezed herself inside my blanket, which surprised me. "Stressed ka?" She asked. She knew that football used to be my stress reliever.

I sighed. "I'm sure you've heard." I told her knowingly.

"Eh ano ba talaga kasi gusto mo? If you don't want to go to law school, just tell him. You can start working for the company naman eh."

"Parang ganun lang kadaling sabihin kay Dad yun. Alam mo naman na quotang-quota na ko sa kanya." And besides, I'm not really keen on working for him. Sa pagiging tatay nga niya, hindi na kami magkasundo, pano pa kaya pag naging boss ko siya.

"Sus. Ano ba naman yung isang bagsakang galit ni Dad sa habang buhay na pagsisisi mo dahil lang natatakot ka sa galit niya?" She told me. She has a big point right there.

But still, the thought of Dad getting mad, disappointing him at my decision makes me scared. All my life, I have yet to prove anything to him and here I am, experiencing a quarter life crisis. He wouldn't be too happy at that, I'm sure.

"Did you ever experience this?" I asked my sister. "I mean, did you ever came to a point where you feel at lost?"

"I have always wanted to be a doctor." She told me, of course she was. She was so firm on becoming one for as long as I can remember. "But I was at a point where I felt that I will disappoint Dad." She told me meaningfully.

"You don't really have to tell me that." I assured her. Achi got involved with someone my Dad doesn't like in the past and I'm telling you, my family was pretty messed up during that time.

"I know." She smiled. "What I wanted to tell you was that even though I know it's going to be tough with Dad, I made my decision because I know that it's what I want."

Well, we all know what happened after that decision, she was left broken. "But it didn't turn out good, Ach."

She smiled. "Arya, not all decision will turn out for the better. Sometimes, we all have to experience heartbreaks and pain."

"But what if-"

She cuts me off quickly. "Never ever think of what ifs. Follow what's in here." She places her hand on my left chest. "If you think that it's the right thing to do at this moment, then do it. Regardless of what will happen in the end, consider it a lesson."