Chapter Fifteen

5 weeks later..

I saw a bright white light as the smell of disinfectant hung in the air. Everything was white and blurry, was I dead? I heard someone call my name in the distance, but I couldn't see past all the fog. I tried to call them to say I was here but I couldn't speak, there was something stuck in my mouth. "Lily, can you hear us" came the whispering voice again. I struggled through the fog as everything went dark, I opened my eyes blinking in bright light. The smell of disinfectant was still lingering in my nose and throat. A light was shone into my eyes as I blinked in the brightness of it. As I focused my eyes I saw my mums face, plus people I was sure I knew but I couldn't remember who they were. I tried to call to my mum no sound escaped my lips, my throat was dry and scratchy like I needed to cough. I tried to cough but something was lodged in my throat making me gag, I felt pain shoot up my body as I breathed. Where was I? What was I doing here?

I realised I had a tube down my throat, a doctor came in and removed it. I swallowed and coughed, my throat was sore and I couldn't swallow properly. I felt a dull pain in one of my arms and one of my legs they were both in thick plaster. I felt my head throbbing and a sharp pain when I tried to breathe, I couldn't move my hips without excruciating pain. "Mum" I whispered hoarsely, she looked up from next to me. "Oh Lily, you're awake" she said hugging me. I groaned in pain as she pulled away "Im so sorry Lily, here I'll go get a nurse" she said stroking my hair and walking out the door.  The mysterious guy with dark hair and piercing blue eyes walked over to me.

"Im so glad you're ok Lily, you scared me so much" he said. Who was this guy? How did he know my name? I didn't know who he was. "Who are you?" I croaked, the man looked taken back as the guy with blonde floppy hair came over and took his hand. "Its Adam, Lily and me Tommy" he said. "I don't know anyone called Adam or Tommy" I whispered my voice disappearing again. "No this cant be happening" the dark haired one cried going over to the wall and head-butting it. Damn I though this guy is nuts, what is he doing here? I had no idea who he was. My mum came running in followed by a nurse, they walked over to my bed.

The nurse lifted a glass to my mouth as I sipped the cool water, it was soothing to my throat. I watched as she tweaked the machines beeping around me, she shined a torch in my eyes and sat down on the bed next to me. "How are you feeling?" she asked, "Sore, I cant breathe without pain. Where am I? Why am I here? Who are these people?" I asked. "You're in hospital Lily, you got hit by a car you've been in a coma for 5 weeks. These people are your friends Adam and Tommy" my mum told me holding my hand. "I don't know anyone called Adam or Tommy" I said trying to sit up and collapsing back onto the pillow. The doctor looked at me "Now Lily can you tell me your full name?" she asked, "Lily Marie Brown" I said. "And your full address" she said, "45 Ashfield Walk, New York, ss10 8yu" I told her. My mum shook her head "that's our old address" she told the doctor, "Ok Lily and your friends names"?" she questioned. "I don't have any friends" I told her, "Lily do you know how old you are? When is your birthday?" she asked me. "Im 16, and 21st May 1994" I answered. Again my mum shook her head "She's 18, her birthday is 14th July 1995. Why cant she remember?" my mum asked.

"She's had an injury to her head, she has concussion and seems to be suffering from memory loss" the doctor told her. I tried to sit up and yelped as pain shot through my hips and ribs, "Lily you need to stay down, you're in no fit state to be sitting up yet" the doctor told me as she injected something into the tube in my hand. "What's that?" I asked, "Its morphine, a strong painkiller" she told me. I couldn't breathe properly, the doctor seemed to notice this because she placed a mask over my face. I felt my eyelids droop as I struggled to stay awake, a wave of tiredness eloped me as I couldn't fight it anymore I flopped down on the pillow and zonked out.

Adam's POV:

She was waking up  after 5 weeks in a coma she was awake. But there was one problem, something that made my heart sink. She didn't know who I was, she had no memory of me or Tommy. After basic questioning form the doctor, she didn't get any of them right. She looked so tired, probably due to all the drugs she was on. I was calling her name, I noticed her eyelashes were starting to flutter. She looked dazed, as she opened her eyes. She couldn't speak, she tried to cough the tube down her throat was causing her to gag. Damn, I hated seeing her like this. Yes, eventually Tommy talked me round to come back inside. My mum knew I was gay, she caught me and Tommy kissing. I could see Lily was in pain I watched as the doctor tweaked machines and checked stuff, she gave Lily some painkillers.

In the mix of everything I hadn't noticed that Tommy had disappeared out of the room. I turned round as the door shut, standing up I followed him outside. He was standing on the steps on his mobile, I leant against the wall as he put the phone down. He sat on the step not realising I was standing behind him, he looked distracted. I coughed as he practically jumped out of his skin, "shit Adam, you scared the crap outta me!" he cried. "Sorry about that, is this a private session or can anyone join?" I asked. He gestured to the step as I sat down next to him, "so you vanished? What's wrong babe?" I asked him. "Nothing, I just didn't realise she would be that bad. All those tubes and machines she's connected to, its haunting. She cant remember who we are Adam, the short amount of time I've known her and I feel as though she's lost already" he replied looking down at the floor.

I knew how he felt, I felt exactly the same. "I know how you feel babe, but she's awake now. And she needs us more than ever, she might not remember who we are but we know who she is" I told him taking his hands in mine. "I guess you're right babe" he replied as I bent down and kissed his head. I took his hand and led him back inside, Lily's eyes snapped open as we walked in. She waved her hand beckoning us to come and sit by her, we sat on the edge of the bed as she opened her mouth to say something.

"I want to ask you something" I whispered looking up at the dark haired one, "Anything" he replied his blue eyes shining. "How did I meet you? Are we friends?" I asked. He looked into my eyes and answered "I kind of ran into you in the corridor, we sort of hit it off from there. We aren't just friends, you are my best friend. As for Tommy well he's your friend through me, he's my partner. Im gay, that was the big bust up between us before you ended up here. You had found out I was with Tommy, and I hadn't told you. You flipped out and I never got the chance to apologise to you" as he stood up and looked out of the window

My mind went back I remembered having a shouting match with someone, his name echoed in my head Adam. Through the fog I saw the dark haired ones face, his sparkling eyes filling with sadness. I saw a cliff, 3 girls and a car. Blood and screaming, my breath getting faster. I felt a sharp pain as I flew through the air, concrete and tarmac. The dark haired ones face next to mine as everything went black. "Adam, im sorry" I whispered, his head shot up at hearing his name he came running over to me "Lily, is that you are you still in there" he cried clinging to my hand. "Of course I am Adam who do you think it would be?" I told him, I watched as a smile crossed his lips as he lent over and hugged me. "Ouch" I whispered, "Sorry, but I have something important to tell you" he said.

My heart skipped as I looked up at him, he looked like something was eating him up. "Please, tell me" I asked him. He opened his mouth to speak, I listened as he told me he had been the one that told the head about Anya and her group. My mouth dropped open in shock, so she had hit me because of him. I knew I should feel angry but I didn't, he was my friend and he was only looking out for me.  He hung his head not meeting my eyes, a tear rolled down his cheek. I lifted his head up, his eyes were full of tears. "Really its fine, Adam I forgive you. You were only looking out for me. It wasn't your fault I got hit by that car, it was bout to happen one day especially with Anya and her group" I told him wiping his tears from his face. "And as for you and Tommy, I'm happy for you, you deserve someone special. Tommy is they best they come" I replied looking up at Tommy.  Tommy's eyes filled with tears as he came over and hugged me.