Prologue

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROLOGUE

May 2003

“Those guys are totally checking us out,” Chrissy Chambers said in a giggle and Jenny Miller peered over her best friend’s shoulder to see.

“They are not,” Jenny said, suppressing a corresponding giggle as they walked over to the escalators in the local mall. She couldn’t help but steal a second glance at the two guys, though. It was the middle of the week and the girls were supposed to be in school, but since graduation was just weeks away, Jenny had let Chrissy persuade her to ditch.

“Don’t look!” Chrissy hissed, spots of red coloring her otherwise pale and flawlessly made-up cheeks. Chrissy had been putting on makeup since she was in her tweens. At 16, she was a seasoned pro in the art of looking older. At best, Jenny was allowed to wear lip gloss and a touch of mascara, barely visible behind her thick frames and dense fringe.

Jenny rolled her eyes. “They’re not looking at us, anyway.” At least not at her, Jenny added silently. She was the ugly duckling next to the stunning swan, and that was just the way it was. No sense getting upset about it. After all, she did well in school and had loving parents, which was more than she could say for a lot of her friends. Not that it wouldn’t be nice to be noticed by a guy once in awhile…

They stepped onto the escalator and Jenny casually glanced over to see the two guys moving from their previous location and making a move to head down the escalators themselves. Her heart beat just a little bit quicker. Even if the guys weren’t interested in her didn’t mean she couldn’t live vicariously through Chrissy. That was their thing, after all. Jenny let Chrissy cheat off her homework and Chrissy shared every sordid detail of her life with Jenny. Like making out with Kenny Purser behind the bleachers and letting Danny Butters get to third base in his car up at the ridge.

“Oh, look, a sale on Guess!” Chrissy squealed and grabbed Jenny’s hand, tugging her down the escalator, too impatient to wait for the machinery to do its job.

Jenny let her friend drag her along, but she wasn’t overly enthusiastic. Her mom bought all her clothes at either K-Mart or Target, and the budget was tight. Even at 70 percent, there was no way Jenny could spend money on designer goods. Chrissy, however, could. Her family owned most of the businesses in Northcrest, NY, and her mother was a popular makeup artist, in high demand at New York Fashion Week and alike. Jenny’s own mother worked as a librarian at Northcrest Public Library, and her father as a janitor at the elementary school.

“Oh-Em-Gee,” Chrissy enunciated, picking up the cutest mini-backpack Jenny had ever seen, “isn’t this just to die for?”

Jenny nodded her agreement, her gaze drifting as Chrissy picked up one item after another. She whipped her head around when she spotted the guys from before, who were now hanging out on the bench opposite the store.

“Chrissy,” she hissed and nudged her friend. “Chrissy.”

“What?”

“Look.”

Chrissy looked in the direction Jenny had indicated with her jerky movement. “What?”

“Those guys are following us,” Jenny whispered. “What should we do?”

“What do you mean? Talk to them, of course,” Chrissy said as if it was the most logical thing in the world.

“I don’t know, Chrissy…”

“Oh, come on, live a little. Hurry, before they get bored and leave,” Chrissy put down the bag she’d been holding and looped her arm through Jenny’s, leading her out of the store and over to the bench.

“Hey,” one of the guys acknowledged them by a quick jerk of his head. Well, acknowledged Chrissy. Jenny might as well have been wearing an invisibility cloak. He was blond, with darker roots than tips, and a scruffy jaw. Only one or two of the boys in their class had facial hair, so Jenny guessed this guy was older. Maybe 18 or 19.

“Hi,” Chrissy said, popping her hip and twirling her long, blonde hair between her fingers. “I’m Chrissy. This is Jenny.”

“Cool. You girls just hanging out?” the blond asked, his voice almost lazy.

While Chrissy responded to the blond, Jenny’s gaze strayed to his friend, who so far had said nothing. He had dark hair, a little long, and his eyes were dark. His jeans were worn and he was wearing a black leather jacket. He looked like one of those bad boys Chrissy kept gushing over in the glossy magazines, except he wasn’t model-pretty.

The dark-haired guy had been looking at Chrissy – as most guys did – but his gaze moved over to scan Jenny’s body. Usually that kind of perusal was quick, and easily dismissed, but this guy’s dark gaze stayed, zoning in on her chest. Jenny instinctively hugged herself, feeling uncomfortable under his inspection, and the dark-haired guy’s eyes rose to meet hers. He wasn’t smiling, just… looking. Jenny tore her eyes away and focused on Chrissy, who was flirting her socks off.

“So… you girls feel up for a ride?” the blond guy asked, glancing over at Jenny.

“Totally,” Chrissy nodded. “Right, Jen?”

“Um…” No, she really didn’t want to go anywhere with a couple of guys they’d just met, one of whom gave her the creeps. “Chrissy, could I just…” she mumbled and tugged on her friend’s arm, ushering her away from the two guys.

“What?” Chrissy demanded as soon as they stopped.

“I don’t think we should go with them.”

“Why not?” Chrissy whined. “Come on, Jen, live a little. They’re totally cute.”

“I wanna stay at the mall. We could get ice cream or something.”

“Oh, you’re such a baby sometimes,” Chrissy rolled her eyes. “I’m going. You coming or not?”

Jenny looked over at the guys again, who were now talking, and back at her best friend, whose eyes were bright with excitement. “I…” she started, but was cut off by her cell phone buzzing in her pocket. “Hang on, it’s my mom,” she said as she read the display.

Chrissy sighed and tapped her foot impatiently as Jenny answered the phone.

“Hey, Mom? No, I’m… I know, but… I just… okay… see you in a bit,” she hung up with a sigh.

“No.”

“Ms. Brenner called. Mom’s coming to pick me up.”

“How did she even know we were here?”

“Ms. Brenner was out shopping on her lunch break and saw us. She’s not happy.”

“Oh come on. She’ll get over it. Let’s get out of here, have some fun. It’s our senior year!”

“I can’t. I’m sorry.” Jenny shook her head. “Come with me, Mom will drive us back to school.”

“Nuh-uh. I’m going with Jarrod and his friend.”

“Come on, Chrissy. Don’t be stupid. You don’t even know them.”

“I know I’ll never get to have any fun if I sit at home and do my calculus homework. Last chance, Jen.”

“I’m not going.”

“Suit yourself, then,” Chrissy said, throwing up her hands and backing away, joining the guys who had now risen from the bench they’d been slouched on. “Enjoy homework!”

Jenny felt like the world’s biggest loser as she watched Chrissy practically bounce towards the mall’s parking lot, flanked by the two guys. The dark-haired one looked over his shoulder at her one last time before they all disappeared out of sight.