Chapter 16: Homesick

Börja om från början

I'm skimming the shelves, grabbing whatever books I thought we interesting when a certain book captures my attention.

The Jungle Book.

Picking it up, I flip through the pages of the book and instantly think of Justin. Once I have all the books I want, I go to buy them, including the Jungle Book in hand.

When I get home, I quickly go up to my room and hide the Jungle Book in my desk drawer. I have an idea about what I want to do with it, but I have to wait until after dinner. 

So when dinner time came around, we all gathered around the table to eat. I patiently wait for my dad and Justin to come to the table, but frown when I see only my dad emerge to the table.

Jennifer is the first to speak up. "Where's Justin?" 

"Sick," Dad replies, pulling up a seat for himself. 

"He's sick? From what?" 

"He's home sick, I believe. I'm giving him some space, but I can't let this go on any longer. He might get angry or worse, depressed." Dad murmurs softly, looking away from us.

"I'll make sure to save some food for him." Jennifer places some salad onto her plate for herself, picking up her fork.

The dinner goes on and I can't help, but think of Justin. He was homesick? Of course he was, he did mention that it was his original home even though we might not think it's suitable for a human to think of it as home.

Dinner seems to go on forever. When we're all done, I quickly excuse myself, saying I had a long night of extra studying and reviewing to do for Chemistry, even though I knew I was ready for my test. My dad and Jennifer bid me a goodnight, saying they were heading off to bed early tonight.

I go up to my room to find Milo laying down on my bed. I pass by him and go to my desk, opening it to pull out the book. Should I wrap it something? I stand there for a few minutes, deciding whether or not I should wrap up the book. 

In the end, I wrap it up in some wrapping paper just for the heck of it. It is a gift after all. 

I take a quick peak out my door before closing the door shut behind me and walking right up to Justin's door. I quietly knock on the door and wait.

I don't get an answer.

"Justin?" I call out, opening the door a bit to peak in. I don't see anyone.

Confusion takes over and I open the door a little wider so I can step in. Both the door to his bathroom and closet were open, revealing that he wasn't in any of those places. I gasp when I notice his balcony door wide open, wind rushing it. 

I close his bedroom door and quickly walk out to the balcony and skimmed the backyard. It was dark out since the sun had just set, but I could make out Justin's figure in the yard and that's when I realized it. 

He climbed out the balcony by going down the tree.

It made sense. There was a tree right next to his balcony. He could have just climbed over the railing and made his way down. It also made sense because dad wouldn't let him go out on his own and this obviously ins't Justin's first time sneaking out. I shake away the memories of Justin climbing the tree which lead to the no seeing or going near Justin ban.

I quickly exit Justin's room and rush downstairs and out to the backyard. I start to make my way over to Justin who was laying on the grass, looking up at the stars.

I plop myself down next to him, laying right by his side, hugging the book to my chest.

He looks over at me in surprise, lips parted, but no words forming.

I decide to speak up. "Hi," I nervously breath out.

"H-hi," Justin says, surprising me a bit. I thought he wouldn't say anything to me since he's managed not to for a while. 

I sit up and so does he. I twiddle with my fingers, still hugging the gift to my chest. "Are you okay?" I ask. Justin frowns. 

"Why you ask?" 

"Dad said you were homesick." I say, before deciding to rephrase. "You not feeling well?" Justin nods. "Miss home. Miss the jungle."

Neither of us say anything and I just look around the yard. It wasn't cold out yet, which was good. Just some breeze every once in awhile. I feel intimidated by being under Justin's stare, but I'm happy we're talking.

"I got you a gift," I finally manage to muster, blushing a bit.

Justin frowns in confusion, "What is gift?" He tests out the new word.

I place the wrapped up book right in front of him. "It's something I got for you," He looks at with curiosity clear in his eyes. I nod my head at the gift. "Open it." 

Justin carefully takes the present in his hands, still unsure what to do it with. I pick at the end with the tape and open it before nudging him to continue to the process. Justin seems to understand and rips open the wrapping paper to reveal the book I bought him.

He reads the words out loud. "T-the Jungle Book?" 

"Yeah," I nod, looking down with a blush still on my cheeks. He made me nervous for some reason. "I thought," I pause for a second. "I thought maybe we could read it together- if you wanted to of course." 

"Avocado read to me?" Justin clarifies and I look up instantly. My heart fluttered from hearing the familiar nickname that I haven't heard in a while. "Yes, if you want me to." 

A tiny smile etches onto his lips. "Yes, Justin would like that." 

I smile back at him and reach over to push his dark hair away from his face to reveal his beautiful eyes. Justin reaches up and grabs my hand, intertwining our fingers together which takes me back in surprise.

I just stare down at our hands laced together, my lips parted, but no words seemed to form.

He gives my hand a gentle squeeze. "Thank you, B-bea. Justin misses home. You make heart better." His voice was soft, his words as sweet as honey. 

I feel my heartbeat race from his words. He had some sort of effect on me. "I'm glad to hear that," I reply, looking back down at our, still, intertwined fingers. "Would you like me to read a few pages?" 

He nods eagerly and I chuckle. "Only if you promise to head back upstairs, okay? You can't stay out here all night long." Justin looks at me in confusion for a second before slowly nodding his head.

I hold out my pinky for him and he stares at it. "We're gonna pinky promise," I tell him, waiting for him to wrap his pinky around mine. He's obviously confused and I playfully roll my eyes at him before removing his hand from my to wrap his pinky around mine.

"Promise," I say and he nods, repeating the same word. "P-promise." 

Smiling, I let go of our pinkies and open up the book. Justin lays back down in the grass, looking up at me, patiently waiting for me to start reading. 

Clearing my throat, I start to read. "It was seven o'clock of a very warm evening in the Seeonee hills..." I don't miss the small smile that reappears on Justin's face as he closes his eyes, listening to my voice, peaking an eye at me every now and then to watch me read.

To say I was happy about how things turned out would be an understatement. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:

Yay i finally updated! So bea and justin made up and are now getting along and being super cute. I hope you guys liked this because i'm kinda happy with how this turned out. Let me know your thoughts about this chapter!

Btw I'm still planning out how I want this story to go. I have an idea, but i need to see what happens and how I write it out. 

I hope this doesnt seem too rushed?? can someone let me know if the pace is okay or not?

Also make sure to check out my new book 'How to Become Parents!' :))

Thanks and until next time,

-Diana