I sat down and shivered as I felt the water in the snow seep through my pants and onto my skin. I didn’t get back up though. It felt nice. A reminder that I was alive, no matter the circumstances. It kept me keen and focused.

Counting the months it’d been since I must have disappeared from the regular world, I figured it would be November. Or December. Maybe January, I don’t know. Time became irrelevant a long time ago. I wrapped my arms around my knees and started swaying in the snow. I relished the scenery I was experiencing, whether real or not.

I wondered what Brent would think about this.

… Brent!

The events of today’s past came reeling into my head, and with them came tears. Brent and I were over. Meg was dead. Andrea is most likely insane and might be watching me at this very moment.

At that thought, I gave a quick, wary glance around me. Nothing. Nothing but white.

I took a deep breath and tried to keep myself from crying. I’d been doing too much of that lately. To comfort myself, I assured myself that Brent and I were probably going to get back together.

God I was so stupid! I spent my whole life fawning over him, and then end it because of something as stupid as what happened yesterday? I threw everything away, just like that.

Maybe it was for the best, I thought. Maybe this is just a test of how strong our relationship is. If he comes back, he really loves me.

“Until then, I won’t go looking for him,” I muttered softly to myself, letting my pride get the best of me.

I nodded as to accept the promise, and then pushed myself off the ground as the coolness on the back of my legs was beginning to turn into an uncomfortable numbing sensation.

Shaking the snow off myself, I stepped back inside, and heard my parents speaking.

“My beautiful girls! Good morning!” I heard my dad say.

“Oh, Darius, relax won’t you?” my mom retorted.

“I simply will not, Alexandrie. My darling, give me a reason to,” my dad said.

I stepped into the kitchen and saw them in the usual morning scene, speaking to an empty space by the refrigerator.

“Hey, Hail-Rain,” my dad says, and I smiled sadly at my nickname. He grinned at the empty spot where I usually stood. “You mind running to the other fridge to get us some milk?”

“It’s gonna cost you,” I muttered for old times’ sake.

I saw him roll his eyes and smirk at me. “What’s it worth to you?”

“Whatever you want to give me,” I answered to the non-responsive figure. I’d never felt so alone.