(4) I'm Sorry

IF YOU ARE READING THIS, YOU ARE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PERSON IN THE WORLD. HONESTLY. Not just because you’re reading my book but because you honestly care, and I appreciate that :)

So here we go, the story is starting to get more cheery :D hope ya like it! :) Please vote!

Enjoy!

Chapter Four: I’m Sorry

I woke up, and I didn’t even bother with anything. No primping, no talking to my family, I just threw some clothes on and left. I rushed as fast as I could to Brent’s house. When I got there, I looked at the clock and noticed it was exactly nine A.M, which meant that I was fifteen minutes early.

What if he wasn’t awake yet? I debated whether I should call him outside. After about thirty seconds, I let my impatience win, and I slammed my hand down on the horn, creating a loud noise that startled me.

I waited, watching the door, and in a few moments Brent came out, only dressed in boxers, and he had a toothbrush in his mouth. When he saw my car, he got an irritated look on his face and walked over to my window, which I had rolled down when he was close enough.

“What is it?” he mumbled, toothpaste muffling his voice.

“I… I just wanted to talk to you about something important.”

He cocked his head to the side in confusion, but then he nodded and walked away. I honked once more and he put three fingers, signifying that he’ll be out in three minutes. I sighed and started thinking about how I was going to tell him what I wanted to say without looking like a psychopath. As I was deciding which of my last two actions I will take, Brent walked out from his house.

And he wasn’t holding the box anymore. Just the rose.

He opened the door and climbed in. I decided to waste no time. “B, you remember the day we died?” I asked boldly, looking at him in the eye, refusing to look away when he looked like I had just told him I have twelve toes. He let out a choked gasp and looked to his right, grabbing hold of the dash of my car to steady himself.

I grabbed his arm and looked at him pleadingly, to not freak out, that this was just a mistake. He glanced back at me for a long moment before finally letting out a breath, then he pursed his lips, and said the most shocking thing I had ever heard in my life. “Yes,” he whispered softly.

What.

What?

WHAT?

It was my turn to freak out now; I felt as if I was about to be sick. My gut felt as if I had just got shot, except this one was deeper, it affected my lungs and heart. I gripped the steering wheel, my knuckles turning bone white. Brent stared at me as he waited for me to gain back my sanity. I took a deep breath and looked up, straight into his face. My heart started beating faster, pumping warm blood to my cheeks.

“Hi,” he said and then chuckled. His warm breath tickling my face, the minty smell of his breath very potent. I was so shocked I didn’t even say anything, I just moved away like an idiot. I looked straight ahead to his house, trying to hide my feelings from Brent. I finally got to guts to look to my right and look at him, and he had this… look on his face. One I’ve never quite seen before. Our eyes met and I noticed he blushed and looked down.

I closed my eyes and braced myself, deciding to be the brave one. “What do you remember?” I whispered, barely having enough courage to say it aloud.

“Everything,” he whispered back, a break in his voice, a tear in his eye.

Brent had never looked more vulnerable in his life, the look on his face made my heart break, and tears started running across my cheeks. Brent picked me up sat me on his lap. He wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his forehead on my temples. Pretty soon, there was a crying fest going in inside my car.

“Why do you think we’re here?” he asked me, the frustration in his voice very apparent.

“I don’t know!” I yelled, desperate, even though I did know. I had to be stupid and ask for one more day with him. I put us here. It was so unfair to him! To be trapped here because of me. But, I couldn’t tell him that. He was the only person I have now, I couldn’t risk losing him.

As if reading my mind, he put his lips to my ear, and very, very quietly, he whispered, “At least we’re together.” And he lightly kissed my ear. The gesture made me get chills, and I felt a wave of goose bumps pass my body.

I didn’t think I heard him right, and even if he did say that, he didn’t mean it romantically. He probably meant as friends, and we can help each other now.

I’ve had enough, I thought, and gently I pushed myself off him, getting back to the drivers’ seat. I put my seatbelt on and put the car in reverse, but Brent gently put his hand over mine on the stick shift.

“Let’s not go to school today,” he said, “they won’t even notice we are gone. What do you say about a Hailee and Brent day?”

I thought this over, and come to think of it, he’s right. It made no difference where we went, because the world went go on without us, not bothered one bit by our absence. The only reason I ever went to school was because of him, but now that we both had a reason not to go, we won’t.

I reversed the car into the street, and instead of going left to go to school, I turned right, going towards Los Angeles -- maybe San Francisco, and I didn’t care where the car too me, as long as I was with him.

----------------------------------

Yeah, it’s a little short, but I had two really long chapters, and I didn’t want to overwhelm y'all. :D anyway, I might write another short chapter later today and update it tonight.

So what’d you guys think? How do you think Brent feels about Hailee? :D trust me, it’s a big surprise! :)

Do you think Hailee should tell him she’s the reason they’re here? Or do you think Brent is guilty of wishing the same wish? Hm? Mwahaha :{D (mustache)

Anyway, vote, comment and fan :D

I think this story is going to go to great places ;)

Well, Ta-Ta for now! ^_^