(20) Waken

Chapter Twenty.

I didn't even have enough time to react.

A choked cry left my lips an I lunged for him, tears already springing up in my eyes. Please don't let this be! I couldn't lose both of them!

Why was this world so unfair?

I caught his body before he fell, the momentum of his weight bringing us both crashing to the ground. Right onto the shattered vase. "Brent! Please! Don't leave me!" I screened, desperately trying to find his hand and clasp it in mine in a death grip.

Meg was at my side now, gently touching Brent's forehead. "He's still alive Hailee."

"How do you know?" I asked, my voice breaking.

"I can still hear his thoughts. He's completely fine - he's not hurt..." she trailed off, furrowing he brows and leaning in closer to his head. After a couple of moments, a smile slipped onto her face, and I wanted to slap her until she spoke up. "He's thinking about you."

Despite the circumstances, a soft pink blush slipped onto my face. I looked at Brent. If I didn't know any better, I'd think he was in deep sleep. "How long 'til he wakes up?" I asked.

"Not long - huh."

"What?"

"I can't read his mind anymore."

"Meg, WHAT? He's dying?" I slapped my hands onto Brent's chest.

"No, no. Calm down, Hailee. This is a little strange, but nothing to worry about," Meg said, waving her hand in dismissal.

"But-"

"Nope. He's not dying."

"Well then-"

"He's not dying."

"I know, but-"

"Then why do you-"

"Stop interrupting me!"

A sly smirk wiggled onto Meg's face. "I'm not."

"Meg! This is no time for funny business! Brent's hurt!"

"Oh, and I'm the little girl from Narnia, and I can heal the hurting with a drop of my magical potion!" Meg said sarcastically, mimicking a British accent.

"Meg, stop."

Meg pouted, a dewiness forming in her eyes. "Hailee, I didn't mean to... Remind you of - of Alex."

"I'm not worried about him right now," I lied, waving my hand. "I just want to know what's wrong with Brent."

Meg furrowed her brows and stared at Brent for a long while. "I still can't read his mind." She looked at me with panicked eyes, putting her hand to his neck and wrist. "He still has a pulse."

"So, what? Is he in a coma?" I asked.

"I - I honestly don't know."

I pursed my lips, looking up at the sky. "It's not like we can get any medical help right now."

"I can help, maybe," a voice said in the backround, causing me to jump.

"Huh?" I asked, turning my head to catch the sigh of Andrea, her hands intertwined in nervousness.

"I - I trained to be an EMT before I, you know, croaked," she explained.

"What's an EMT?" I asked.

"Emergency Medical Technician."

I stared blankly at her before coming to a realization. "Oh."

"So, help!" Meg exclaimed, scurrying up to Andrea and pushing her down to Brent.