Rainbow turned to the other monster, only to be cut off by an ear-piercing cry. Suddenly, the two dead monsters rose to their feet. The rainbow pegasus' eyes widened. The winged pony shot up into the air once more, returning to the group. "On second thought, maybe we should just get rid of the rest."

 Link turned and tried to assess the damage. Groups of Shadow Bulblins were running around the fields; Shadow Babas were sprouting everywhere; Shadow Keese were flying overhead; the Shadow Beasts were inside the energy field and the entire sky was a dark black and yellow.

  How is this even happening? Link thought, frustrated. Shaking his head, he turned to Twilight and tapped his throat once more. The light hit him and he immediately began barking (literally) out orders.

  Rainbow, start taking out some of the flying monsters; Fluttershy, take Applebloom, find Granny Smith and Big Mac and get out of here; Pinkie and Rarity, you're going to have to take care of the guys on the ground; Applejack and Twilight, you're gonna help me with the monsters inside the barriers.

The group nodded before rushing off to their separate tasks. Twilight took flight and hovered over the energy field, while Link and Applejack, with some help from Twilight's magic, were able to jump over the barrier once again.

  The only way they'll stay dead is if we attack them all at once!

The two ponies nodded. Applejack darted behind one of the creatures, Link behind another, and Twilight's horn began to glow with energy.

  Now!

Link jumped on the monster, sinking his teeth into the darkness until the creature fell back. Applejack lashed out with her hindlegs, knocking her monster flying. Twilight's target was sent crashing to the ground by a beam of pure energy.

 The three monsters lay on the ground for a moment before exploding into dark energy and shooting back into the portal. Twilight dropped down as the stone pillars collapsed and the glowing red energy disappeared.

 But before Link could celebrate their victory, there was a scream and suddenly Rainbow crashed into the ground beside them.

 "Rainbow!" Twilight and AJ shouted in surprise, running over to their friend.

 The blue pegasus sat up groggily as Link padded over to them. "What are those things? I tackled a tiny bat and it smacked me so hard I crashed!"

  Twilight creatures. I knew they were tough. But I had no idea they'd be so strong compared to ponies.

"What does that mean?" Twilight asked.

  I've been fighting these things for a long time now, and I've gotten used to how strong they are. But to ponies, they're still extremely hard-hitting.

"Well then how are we supposed to beat them?" Rainbow exclaimed, picking herself out of the small crater she'd created.

 Link just shook his head. He truly didn't know.

  Right now, considering the portal is still up for some reason, I don't think this can get much wor-

Link was interrupted by another scream, this one threatening, accompanied by the beating of scaly wings.

  You've got to be kidding me. Just a moment later, a tall lizard-like creature landed hard in front of them. Small pieces of armour were dotted across their body, including a half-helmet and a round shield. A pair of scaly wings spread behind them and they were brandishing a long, silver sword.

 "What is that thing?" Applejack gasped, taking a wary step back.

  An Aeralfos. Link growled menacingly, stalking past the scared ponies. The last time he'd battled one of these creatures, he was in his human form. Not to mention he had his Clawshot. How was he going to beat them without that?

The Aeralfos shrieked, crouching before shooting up into the air, not even giving Link time to plan before diving down again, striking at the wolf with its sword.

 Link yelped and jumped back as the tip of the sword sliced his side. He immediately leapt at the creature as it prepared for another attack. The monster flew up, but Link was able to sink his teeth into the Aeralfos' tail as it began to rise. Their combined weight forced the monster back down to the ground.

 The two beats crashed into the ground, and Link stood up the second his legs responded. He ignored the blood flowing from his side and jumped atop the other monster as it scrabbled to stand. He sunk his jaws into the creature's shoulder, drawing back as the horrid black liquid seeped past his teeth.

 The Aeralfos shrieked and pushed against him with enough force to knock him away before leaping up and flying upwards.

 "Oh no you don't!" Rainbow yelled, taking off after it.

  Rainbow, stop! Link tried to warn, but the pegasus was already diving at the monster.

 The two fliers were locked in a tightly-spaced aerial battle, Rainbow ducking and dodging in an attempt to knock the monster down, whilst the Aeralfos swung with its sword, missing the pegasus by less and less space each time.

 After a moment, Rainbow let out a scream and suddenly dropped from the sky, blood and feathers trailing behind her. Link dashed forward as the blue pony grew closer, quickly angling himself so that the pegasus landed hard on his back.

 Link gasped as the weight and momentum of the fall crashed into his back, forcing the air from his lungs. He drew in deep breaths before tipping Rainbow carefully onto the ground.

 The wolf growled as the Aeralfos lowered. The creature shrieked and dove at Link once more. Raging, he leapt up as the monster grew nearer and landed squarely on its back. It screamed in surprise as Link sunk his fangs into the beast's throat. By the time the horrid black blood forced him away, the monster was already dead.

 Panting, Link padded back over to Rainbow. Twilight and Applejack were standing over her, terrified. The pegasus was lying weakly, fighting to keep consciousness. There was a large wound, bleeding into the ground, at the base of one of her wings.

  We need to get her- No, all of you, out of here now. I was stupid to think you could all get through this onslaught as unscathed as I often do.

"Link, we can't just leave you here!" Twilight protested.

  I wasn't asking. Link growled.

~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys, sorry this is late again. You can tell I'm bad with schedules.

But anyway, what do you guys think of this chapter? I wasn't too sure how to write battle scenes, especially when Link's a wolf. I tried my best though and I think it came out okay.

As usual, if you spot any errors, feel free to point them out so I can fix them.