* * *

After school on Friday, I'd planned for Mr Elliott to take me home after school with Taylor and Courtney. At home, I would change out of my school clothes quickly, pack an overnight bag, and then go to the Elliott's place afterwards.

Courtney, Taylor and I had just got off the bus and were surprised to see Mr Elliott waiting early. Mrs Elliott was in the passenger seat, so the three of us had to squeeze into the back seats. I got stuck in the middle and had to press up against Taylor whilst Courtney fastened her seatbelt.

"Wow, jeez, make room for the pregnant lady!" Taylor announced, trying to be funny. He was subtly implying that I was hugely overweight.

When I was seated back in my seat properly, I began punching his shoulder. He just laughed. "And here comes the raging hormones," he continued teasing.

I gave up and just sat back, crossing my arms across my chest. That didn't stop him from finding something funny to say still, "You know, anger can bring on early labour."

"Oh, enough Taylor. Please." It had become beyond joking for me. "I get enough of that at school. I don't need it from you too. Why are you suddenly being like this?"

"Oh, sorry. I was only joking around."

"I know, but I just get sick of it," I hoped that this would end all of his stupid remarks.

"Okay, no more pregnant lady jokes. Promise." He had a sincere look through his eyes.

Courtney interrupted our eye contact with her frustrated voice, "Well, if you two lovebirds are finished, you might like to notice that we've arrived at Nasettia's place and if you want to be home in time for the dinner, I suggest you stop gazing at each other."

I gasped and looked around at the others. Mr and Mrs Elliott were trying not to show any laughter and Courtney looked frustrated still. "Sorry."

Taylor had to get out because Courtney was being stubborn. Taylor claimed that he didn't want to be stuck in the car with Courtney when she was in such a mood and so offered to help me pack my bag.

Dad was watching the afternoon news bulletin and I guessed that Becky was still at work. We headed upstairs to my bedroom and I collected various items and packed them in my bag. Taylor sat on my bed at first, but became bored by that and decided to look at the various belongings I kept in my room.

I went into the bathroom to change out of my uniform, and when I came back into the room, Taylor was at my bedside table with one of my photo frames in his hands. He turned to look at me, showing the photo to me. "Who's that in the photo with you?"

"Oh, that's my brother Dallas." It was my favourite photo I had of my brother and me. We were on the beach and I was burying him in the sand and making his head the head of a sand mermaid I'd built in the sand.

"It's a nice photo," he stated.

"Yeah, it's my favourite," I said.

He seemed to be contemplating something in his mind. "How long since you've been to the beach?" he asked.

"Probably when that photo was taken, so about two years," I answered.

"I'll take you down to Geelong during the summer. I'm going for my licence tomorrow and so I'll be able to drive and everything."

"That would be great," I answered.

"It's a date then," he grinned at me. I couldn't help but smile at the word 'date'.

I went to pick up my bag, but he insisted that I shouldn't be lifting heavy things and carried it downstairs himself.

I said goodbye to Dad and went out to the waiting Elliotts. Taylor put my bag in the boot of the car before getting in himself.