The Oracle's Vision

"You can't possibly be serious."

Beck was gaping at Davin, openmouthed. The moment he had left Aphrodite's office, he had dragged her aside into one of break rooms and had told her everything that he had learned. So far, Davin didn't think that Beck believed him.

"The first Cupid was murdered? By a mortal?" She exclaimed loudly. Her dark hair had fallen out of its style atop her head, and was now hanging limply past her shoulders.

Davin rolled his eyes. "Yes, Beck. You've asked that only about a hundred times in the last twenty minutes."

His friend sank down into one of the chairs, putting her head in her hands.

"This is too much, Cross." She murmured in disbelief. For a brief moment, she looked up at him with glittering green eyes. "Are you sure that Aphrodite is telling the truth?"

Davin recalled the look of twisted hatred on his mother's gorgeous face that marred her perfect features.

"I think so," he replied, his wings flapping anxiously. "But there's only one way to find out."

Beck's expression turned into one of horror. "No."

"Yes," Davin smirked. "It's time to visit The Oracle."

"There is no way in the Underworld that I ever want to go back into that pig's office again." Beck argued, crossing her arms over her chest. "I had to deal with him all day today, and I've had enough of him to last eons."

"Too bad." Davin said smugly, grasping his friend's wrist and hauling her to her feet.

Beck protested and whined as Davin dragged her out into the busy headquarters of the cupids. There were hundreds of them fluttering about inside the building, all eternally youthful gods that never aged a day. Some raced down the carpeted floors, frantically carrying files while others sat at desks and submitted the latest match-making reports. Even after hundreds of years, Davin never got used to the daily bustle that occurred inside these walls.

"Please dispatch the next shift of archers." A voice requested over the intercom.

Davin watched as dozens of other cupids, dressed in black and gripping weapon cases identical to his, exited through the elevators. They would scatter all around the world, seeking out the soul mates matched by The Oracle himself.

"We've got a missed shot in Tokyo!" One cupid called out. "Someone call in for back up!"

Davin continued to pull Beck through the maze of office cubicles, trying to ignore the awed looks he received from his co-workers. Hushed whispers and gossip about him rose and mingled with the scent of ink and coffee. From behind Davin, Beck snorted loudly.

"You're more famous than our own boss." She remarked.

Davin shrugged. "Doubtful," he replied. "I unfortunately don't possess Aphrodite's record with romance."

"Trust me, Cross," Beck responded bitterly. "None of us do."

They wove through the never ending waves of cupids that milled purposefully in all directions.

Who knew that creating true love took so much work? Davin thought to himself with a chuckle.

Finally, he took a right and strolled into The Oracle's room.

"May the gods help me." Beck groaned, following him inside.

Unlike the rest of the sleek, sun lit headquarters, The Oracle's office was dark and cold. He never opened the blinds over his windows, he never even let in an occasional breeze. Cut off from the world in his very own man-cave, The Oracle was perfectly content with seclusion.