Chapter 6

"Why did you trust me?" He asks me, pinning me against a wall, his face close to mine. We're in a dark, dank cave with little light. "I could kill you now and they would be too late." 

"Because you're not evil. You can lie to everyone else, but not to me," I whisper back, not struggling. He lets go of me and sinks to the ground. I sit next to him and he leans his head back, tears falling from his eyes. 

"If I don't kill you, I die," He whispers. "They want me to take your heart to them. I've been watching you for years, I know your weaknesses. But I also know how strong you are, and that you don't deserve this. I can't kill you. Please, help me." His voice is weak and desperate, and tears fall from his closed eyes. 

"I need another orb," I say, grabbing his hand. I don't know why, but I know he needs me. I focus and one appears around my neck. "Hold still." He nods, eyes still closed, his hand clamped tightly onto mine. I take off the necklace and hold it in my other hand, so I wouldn't forget to take it off. Black smoke peels from him and gets sucked into the necklace. His breath comes out in gasps and he starts shaking. 

"Don't stop," He commands me, sensing my hesitation. "I'll be fine." I nod and continue. He starts screaming in pain writhing around on the floor. Why was it doing this to him. I clamp onto his hand and continue, until the black smoke stops coming from him. He lays gasping on the floor, still crying. 

"I'm sorry Emrys," I whisper, my eyes filling with tears. He slowly sits up, trembling. 

"Don't call me that," He whispers. "Call me... Cole." I nod and notice my hand is still in his. 

"Cole, we need to get you back," I say, standing up, pulling him with me. He leans heavily on me, me pretty much holding him up. I focus on Jared and blink, the two of us swirling. We land in my room, where Jared is waiting for me. "Jared, help him." Jared instantly gets up and helps me set him on the bed. I hover my hands over him and heal him, the gold light emerging from my hands. Cole slowly sits up and pushes my hands away. 

"Stop, I'm fine," He says, standing up. "Connor won't want me here." 

"And neither do I," Jared snarls, in Cole's face. "Get out!" He shoves Cole, hard, forcing Cole to back up. I put up the force field between them, so they won't be able to do anything. Jared snarls at Cole and Cole just backs away. 

"I removed the Shadow from him!" I scream at Jared, who stares at me in shock. He storms from the room and I let down the force field. Cole looks down. 

"They have every right to hate me. I'm sorry for the pain device, I just wanted to warn you," He whispers. He sinks to the floor, barely moving. Jared, Dan, and Connor calmly walk into the room. Cole stands up in fear, pressing his back to the wall. "I-I'll leave ok? I won't bother you again." They block the door and Jared grabs me from behind. Dan slams Cole into the wall, shaking the whole house. 

"No!" I scream, Jared blasting away from me. I blast Dan away from Cole, Dan slamming hard into the wall. I stand in front of Cole, putting the force field up to protect us. "He's good now!" Connor shakes his head. 

"He can never be good. Not after what he's done," Connor replies calmly. "He killed your human father." I turn back to look at him, starting to shake. 

"I had to hurt you. I'm sorry for that Amber. I truly am," He whispers, crying. "I thought his death would kill you, so I wouldn't have to. But the first time you wanted to jump, I was there to stop you. I altered your thoughts, shifting them to Jared. You loved him too much to jump. I saved you. I'm sorry that I had to save you from me." Jared slams into the force field, blasting away from it. I stare at Cole in shock.