Chapter 5

Jared and I rush upstairs, knowing we have to act fast. "Listen to me, you'll need to be careful, we don't know if his dark side will come to the surface. I will get him pinned, you draw his Shadow from him. Concentrate on it. As long as he doesn't attack, you'll be able to draw energy from me," Jared whispers, and I nod. "Are you ready for this?" I nod again, praying I was. 

"What are you two doing?" Dan mumbles, poking his head out of my room. He sees the necklace on my neck and gasps. "You taught her to create with her mind? Alright, let's go save Connor." 

"Dan, pin him to the ground, I'll let Amber draw energy from me, I don't want her passing out," Jared replies, wrapping an arm around my waist. "Just focus on me and imagine my energy flowing through me to you." I nod and we step into Connor's room, hoping for the best. Dan positions himself to jump on Connor in case he attacks. Just with Jared touching me and me focusing on his energy, I feel stronger than ever. I focus on taking the bad out of Connor, because it just shouldn't be there. He's too good. Black smoke slowly peels from him, right as he shoots up in bed, that crazed murderous look in his eyes, the one he had in the woods. He jumps Dan before Dan can even blink, pinning him. He grabs Dan's head and slams it into the ground, knocking him out cold. Jared jumps in front of me snarling, making a wall of water surround us. I keep on drawing the darkness from him, but it's draining me. I feel Jared touch my should and a burst of energy comes to me, but not enough. Connor bursts through the wall of water, Jared fighting to keep him back. It doesn't work. Connor grabs Jared and throws him across the room. The wall of water disappears, falling to the ground. I back away from Connor, who charges at me. I put up the shield, no long able to draw the Shadow from him. I see Jared laying on the ground, unmoving and I lose all energy I had. 

He closes his fingers around my throat, knocking me to the ground. I'm too weak to struggle. His ice blue eyes, crazed and full of hatred, are filling with a darkness that was killing him. "Please Connor," I manage to gasp out. The darkness recedes a little, but there's still some left. "This isn't you. You're good. You care." Little black dots appear in my eyes and it's hard to breath. I can't breath. I'm dying, I realize, my lungs aching. He's killing me. I start sinking into the darkness, knowing I can't save Connor now. Suddenly, the pressure leaves my throat and air soars into my lungs. I lay there, gasping for air, finally able to breath. The black dots disappear and I can breath. Connor scoots far away from me, eyes closed and shaking hard. 

"Do it Amber," He whispers, his voice strained. "Now." I focus on drawing shadow from him, watching as black smoke peels away from him, flowing smoothly into the orb. It drains me, making me fall backward, but it keeps working. I manage to sit back up, watching the last of the shadow leave him. He collapses, as I stand, straight and tall. My head spins and it's hard to stay focused. Jared, a voice whispers in my head. Probably my own. I kneel by him and hold my hand over his chest, grasping one of his hands in my other hand. I concentrate on healing him, and feel the warmth leave my hand, watching a shimmering gold light flow from me. Jared gives me energy even though he's knocked out cold. He sits up and looks around, rubbing the back of his head. I crawl over to Dan and go to heal him. Before I can even try, I pass out, feeling Jared catching me before I hit the ground. 

I wake up hours later, Jared's arms wrapped around me, a soft bed cradling my body. "Amber? Are you awake?" I nod my head then groan, still exhausted. He presses his lips to my cheek and holds it there. 

"How's Connor? Dan?" I mumble sleepily, still pressed against him. 

"We're fine," Connor says softly, sounding as tired as I do. "Dan's still knocked out, but he'll be fine. Thank you Amber. You saved my life and yours." I nod and curl into Jared, so tired. 

"You should stay up for a little," Jared says, sitting up and pulling me with him. "You need some sugar and food in you. Come on, get up you lazy pile of bones." I giggle and wrap my arms around his neck. 

"Carry me?" I ask, holding tightly. He grumbles and doesn't move. "Pretty please?" He sighs and picks me up into his arms, carrying me down the stairs and plopping me down at the dining room table. He starts rummaging through the cabinets, looking for food. He comes up with a box of fruity pebbles and a gallon of milk, getting two bowls down. He sets one in front of me and hands me the cereal. But the thought of eating anything makes my stomach churn. I suddenly feel shaky and hot. I jump and run into the bathroom off the kitchen, and throw up in the toilet. Jared comes in right behind me, holding up my hair for me. I continue throwing up, until my stomach is empty and all I'm throwing up is bile. It burns my nose and throat, making me feel worse. Once I know I'm done, I shakily stand up and close the toilet, flushing it and wiping my mouth with shaking hands. 

"Are you alright?" Jared asks gently, wrapping his hand around mine. I nod my head, but he shakes his. "No, you're not. Come on, I want you to rest." 

"Not upstairs," I mumble. "Too far and I want to be downstairs. Can I have juice?" Jared nods and pulls me up, me leaning heavily on him. He leads me to the couch in the living room, letting me fall onto it. Dan and Connor rush downstairs, see me pale and shaky, and run over to me. 

"She's fine," Jared says instantly. "Just sick at this point. She threw up and now wants some juice. Entertain her." He walks into the living room and they sit on either side of me, but it's too hot. 

"Go away, it's too hot," I mumble, making Dan laugh and they both move to the other armchairs. Jared comes in with a tall glass of orange juice, handing it to me and plopping down next to me. He leans his head back and closes his eyes. The glass feels heavy in my hand I rest the bottom of it on my leg. Jared notices and takes the glass from me, setting it on the table and pulling me onto his lap. I rest my head on his shoulder and press into him, suddenly freezing. 

"Take off the necklace!" Connor suddenly shouts, so Jared reaches behind my neck to take it off. "Not you Jared, if you do you'll get cursed! Amber you have to take it off." I fumble with the clasp and manage to take it off, setting it on the table. It looks sinister, the black smoke swirling around inside it. I feel stronger, almost instantly, no longer sick or anything. Just really thirsty. I reach for the juice and pretty much chug it. Jared laughs and pulls me in fro a hug. He presses his hand to my forehead, then kisses my cheek. He falls back onto the couch, still holding me. 

"Why did it make me feel like that?" I ask, staring at the orb, now sitting innocently on the table. 

"It depends on what type of soul is in there. The soul of a Shadow will actually drain your energy, the soul of an Anarthian will make you stronger," Connor replies, sinking back onto his chair. He looks tired and like he aged forty years in one night. I curl up into Jared's side and relax, just happy to be here with him. He plays with my hair, as always. 

"Why did your brother want us to save you?" I ask Connor, but pain flickers across his face and he won't answer. 

"Tell them, brother," A voice says from behind us. "Tell them how this is your fault." It's Emrys, staring at us with cold eyes. He removes his hood and I can see how much he looks like Connor. 

"Because I chose good, my brother was forced into evil," Connor whispers. "She can save you. You don't have to be that anymore. Be my brother again." Emrys looks away, pain in his eyes. He holds his hand out. 

"I want to speak to the girl alone," He says softly. He looks up and locks his eyes on mine. Jared jumps in front of me, snarling. 

"She's not going anywhere with you," He growls. "Not alone at least." I push Jared aside and shake my head at him. His face softens and he stands back, closer to Dan and Connor. I tentatively put my hand in his and we swirl away in a cloud of darkness.