Alise struggled against his grip, baring her teeth in a feral way at him. Vaguely, she could hear him sigh before they were flipped over, Jeff holding her hands behind her back with her face pressed into the carpet.

”Stop,” he ordered gruffly, pressing her harder into the ground when she tried to struggle. Eventually, her body went still, the only sign she was still alive being the rapid rise and fall of her chest. Jeff sighed. “Why must you be so difficult, kitten?” he murmured, using his free hand to stroke the hair away from the back of her neck. She gave another snarl.

“Why must you be such an ass?” she bit back tartly, sneakily trying to maneuver her hands out of his grip. He only tightened his fingers around her wrists.

“Because if I’m not, you’ll go and do something stupid,” he muttered honestly.

“Screw you, Jeff!” she growled. Alise struggled a bit more before sighing, all of her energy gone. “I hate you,” she muttered.

“What?” he froze, eyes wide in horror. “You don’t mean that—“ he started, cutting himself off before he could sound as desperate as he felt.

“I do!” she howled, not thinking of him at all. She really just hated the way he was acting, the way he would always try to hurt or control her when he didn’t get his way. “You’re nothing but a nuisance. Why are you still here?” For some reason, all the venomous thoughts just came out, like breaking open a dam. Subconsciously, she could feel Jeff shaking above her. His weight left her, and she could hear the sliding open of a window as he jumped out. She didn’t even consider that they were on the second story.

She placed her hands under her, trying to push herself up weakly. Alise fell back to the floor, her chest aching as she did. She sighed, placing her palms flat against the carpet, clenching her hands slowly into fists. “What have I done?” she asked herself, though she couldn’t bring herself to feel anything for what Jeff was undoubtedly doing.

Killing, murdering, destroying. It’s not like she thought she could change him. No, that would be too naïve.

Her muscles twitched a bit, and she managed to push herself up fully this time, pushing her back up against the wall. She let out a shaking breath.

She bit her lip hard enough to make it bleed; her emotions were coming back, and they were coming back with a vengeance. What the fuck have I done?

You’ve condemned dozens of people. Maybe fifteen. Maybe thirty. What does it matter, we all die. The cynical part of her brain was enjoying this. She bowed her head, putting it between her knees as she felt the sudden need to vomit. “Oh God,” she breathed. “Oh God.”

Shakily, she stood to her feet, placing a trembling hand on the doorknob. “What am I doing,” she muttered, but despite her attempts to push herself away from the door and tell herself that none of this was her fault, she was already walking out, locking it behind her.

“Jeff, don’t be doing anything stupid,” she pulled her coat tighter around herself, walking briskly.

***

Jeff was breathing heavily as he moved through the town, eyes raking each house for his next victim. The blood stained his shirt a dark, morbid red, and he reeked of death. But, hell, he loved it so much. He couldn’t even remember what he was upset about.

A huge grin fell on his face as he looked through a window, seeing a couple resting on the couch watching TV. He moved around to the back of the house, throwing a rock at a window. He could hear the man shout, muttering something about getting a baseball bat, and he left his girlfriend in the living room.