Chapter Three

Each class the same, I would sit and listen, they would sit and think of boy things, for four months we would go day in day out they would sit with me a lunch, Theodore would come over I would leave, I would listen to their thoughts in the study halls, in the class rooms, I would even sometimes sneak out at night just to catch a glimpse of their dreams. Then Christmas came, and things changed.

"Hey, Kat" Marcus said catching up with me "what are you doing for Christmas break?"

"Nothing" I was on my way to the lunch room and grabbed his thoughts before he even saw me, he was thinking about inviting a couple of us over to his house for Christmas.

"Well, I was wondering there are only a few of us staying for the holiday, Chris and I because we live here, but you and a couple others will be stuck in the dorms, so I was wondering if you would like to come over for Christmas dinner?"

"I will have to think about it." I know it is supposed to be sunny that day and I don't know if I can risk it. But I can feel the disappointment so I add "I will probably come but it depends on the weather, you know snow and all. Don't you think it is weird you are inviting a teacher?"

"Oh, okay, my dad has a truck so we can always drive over and pick you guys up if you can't make it. And you are not a teacher yet which makes you cool." At that point, I smelled his dad, he was coming down the hall and again I was distracted, this was going to have to stop. To be around mortals, I had to be focused or at least the part of me had to be, but Theodore Simmons is testing fate.

"Oh, Marcus, where is your lunch?" Theodore was trying to get Marcus to walk away from me.

"Oh I left it in my locker, Kat, I will be right back then we can go to lunch." Chris and Marcus are the only ones who sit with me and they still think it is weird I don't eat food, but they don't say anything.

"Katyla, I would like to see you after to school to talk to you about your presentation today."

"Fine, I will be there after the final bell rings." With that I turned and walked away I haven't hunted in the last couple of weeks and Theodore's sweet smelling blood was way too tempting I would have to skip my next class and hunt. So I skipped out on lunch and my last two classes I told the principal I wasn't feeling well. I hunted up north a bit, got me a nice polar bear who was a little more active than I thought it would be, and got myself a nice gash that is healing very quickly. But my shirt was ruined, so I went and changed into one of my gym shirts before heading to Theodore's classroom. It was dark out now, we were in winter mode.

I walked in and found him, his blood all over. The smell hit me, I wanted the blood, but a large unknown force made me focus on him, not his blood. He was dying, and I knew the mark the killer had made on his hand, it was Argo's assassin, Gavin. The mark was cut into his hand; it was two sickles shaped into a cross. I could do nothing about the mark but I would save his life, I could not turn him that would bring Marcus into the vampire world to soon. So I preformed the only spell I knew to heal the damage. "From the Heavens above, the Hells below, from the north to the south, from the east to the west, the sprits of the earth, air, water, and fire, and of my soul, I call upon these powers to heal the man before me, Theodore Simmons, so mote it be!" With those words I collapsed and my wound from the bear reopened, I would need more blood to heal, I left though the window. I ran as far as I could and happened upon some deer, after killing seven I was healing enough, after twelve I was healed. The only reason I don't do that spell is the need for blood afterwards, one human would have done the trick, but I have sworn off human blood, totally since the fateful day my life was destroyed before my eyes. I could have healed without the blood but it would have taken a month or so, it would have been a mortal wound if I had been human.