Chapter Twenty-Eight ✓

Start from the beginning

Stupid, stupid, stupid me...!

"Anything else?" I gritted my teeth but said calmly.

He looked surprised at my calm reaction but shifted slightly when he saw the seriousness in my eyes. I knew I made a mistake but I would not let him taunt me the whole day, knowing he was very capable of doing that. A month ago, I would have not shown up or I would have ended up crying for arriving late but today deep down I knew by heart he wouldn't shout at me so I got straight to the point.

"I want you to call Lucy and arrange our next meeting... Her contract has major loopholes so arrange an appointment with the lawyer... Contact Sleepwalkers and tell them to bloody wake up and pay back already.... It was due last year... Make an appointment with Luke for lunch tomorrow... I want you to type these letters and post them straightway... Cole Company is still waiting for their payment so call the finance department and get that sorted... Send a cheque to Bradshaw and apologise on my behalf for not coming to their charity gala... Also clear all the appointments for the coming two weeks for the wedding. No appointments or formal meetings at all... "

I was furiously writing when my hand froze at the last part.

Wedding...?

He was getting married? But he wasn't engaged yet! But how would I know? It wasn't like he told me. I quickly scanned the organiser in my hand. All I found was suit fitting, formal dinner, cake testing, suit fitting, rehearsal dinner, stag do and what not! This did confirm that he was indeed getting married.

But what do I care? What happened about staying away from him? Maybe this was my chance to not get attached to him at all. I should hate him for insulting me numerous times, for yelling at me, for finding my mistakes in everything, for thinking I was a low life, for every time he made me cry. Then why did I feel like someone was stabbing my heart with a sharp knife, slowly and painfully? Why was my mind refusing to focus on what he was saying? I could see his lips moving but I couldn't register even a single word.

So this was what heartbreak felt like. It felt like someone was squeezing my windpipe and suddenly I felt as if I were about to collapse. I knew I was falling for him but I never thought I would fall this hard.

My heart refused to believe that the guy who was completely oblivious to what was happening to me was getting married in two weeks time. Maybe it was someone else's wedding. Maybe he wasn't getting married. Maybe, he wouldn't get married. Maybe he would call it off on the main day but just looking at his happy face I knew it was near impossible. Arran was a man of his word.

I just couldn't believe someone else would wake up to those green eyes shining with admiration. She would get to listen to his husky voice that sent shivers down the spine. She would walk next to him as Mrs. Raymond, the name that held so much power and authority. Not to mention his touch and his kisses. I knew for a fact that Arran would do anything for the ones he cared for.

'I'm happy for you Emberly.'

'Any guy would be lucky to have you.'

Don't be selfish Emberly. You can't be serious, thinking he could be yours. He was the Raymond and I was just an assistant who would be replaced once this contract was finished. As bitter as it sounded, it was reality. I was better than this. Deep down I knew he deserved to be happy, as anyone else. If he was marrying someone who kept him happy then there was no point in holding onto someone that had already let you go.