Part Eight

We had almost reached Num's workplace when they caught up to us. About two steps away from the door, someone yelled, "Stop!"

Num and I whirled around and came face to face with 410 and a couple others.
"You are breaking nearly twenty laws by rescuing her and coming back here." 410 continued, outraged.

"Ivory, come on!" Num hissed in my ear and bolted towards the door. I raced after him, trying not to look back to see what was going on behind me.

"After them!" I heard 410 shout as I slipped through the door. Num was farther ahead of me.

"How do you know where you're going?" I yelled, trying to keep up with him.

"I've worked here my whole life, remember?" He yelled back.

"Oh yeah." I felt like an idiot. Num stopped running and waited for me to catch up.

"Sorry, I should have waited for you." He said apologetically.

"You're fine. Let's keep moving." I said, gasping for air.

"We're almost there." He assured me as we started again. Without any warning, he suddenly ducked through the wall. I quickly followed him and found myself back in his workplace. He stood by the screen, looking sad.

I came up behind him, "Hey.....we'll see each other again. I'm sure there's a way."

"I am an outlaw now......I will no longer work here." Num said quietly.

Suddenly, I had an idea. "If I can come over here......there should be no reason why you can't come to Earth with me!"

"I have never tried to do that before....but it is very logical." His smile widened. "I will try it. That was an ingenious idea Ivory!" He hugged me tightly.

I turned and walked towards the screen, "C'mon, let's go home."

Num didn't answer.

"Num?" I turned back around.

"He's not going to answer." 410 said and I whirled to look at him.

"Where is he? What have you done to him?" I shouted angrily.

"Nothing at all, my dear. He's right here." 410 stepped aside to reveal a frozen-in-place Num.

"I'm fine Ivory. Just get away from here." Num said, emphasizing the last sentence.

"What?" I was momentarily distracted.

"410, please, can't I talk to Ivory before you kill us?" Num pleaded.

"Why would you need to?" 410 said dryly.

"It's a human custom.....he wants to do it for me." I hurriedly put in.

"Interesting." 410 sighed, "Fine. But do it quickly." Snapping his fingers, 410 released Num and he ran over to me. He leaned in towards me and our foreheads touched.

"Listen to me Ivory......when we are done here, I need you to run through the portal and break the glass." He whispered, his warm breath spilling over my face.

"Break the glass? But that means......" My breath hitched.

"The portal will be broken." He finished for me.

"But how will you get through if the glass is broken?"

"Ivory......I won't be coming with you." He said slowly, as if speaking to a child.

"No you said you'd try. I need you to try. Promise me you'll try!" I was becoming hysterical. I could feel the tears brimming in my eyes.

"Shh-shh Ivory." Num pulled me close and stroked my hair. "I want so badly to come with you....but I must distract them and you must escape.....you need to go home."

"I'll miss you." I said into his shirt.

"I'll miss you too......are you ready to run?" He pulled out of the hug.

"Almost. There's just one thing I need to do." I grabbed his hands in mine and pulled him back towards me. Before I lost my courage, I leaned forward and kissed him. Short and sweet, I wanted his last moments with me to be perfect. I could tell he was unsure but eventually he kissed me back. Finally we broke apart. We nodded to each other and then with one last glance at Num, I ran towards the portal.

Behind me I heard someone scream, "NO!" and then there was a loud bang! With a final burst of energy, I lept into the portal. Fighting the golden goo, I tried to move as fast as I could. I could see my bathroom about a foot in front of me.

"So.....close.....there!" I stepped onto my bathroom counter. I quickly jumped off the counter and looked for something to smash the mirror with. Seeing my hairbrush, I stood back and threw it as hard as I could at the mirror. With a giant crash and splintering noise, the mirror fell and broke into a million pieces........