Chapter 19: Kei Valancia

Start from the beginning

"I remember the man-"

"What was he doing," Ryker interrupted, his voice low and steely. I had my back to him and I could practically feel his anger prick at my skin.

"I don't think that it is relevant at the moment," I replied, nervousness starting to bubble inside of me. I didn't hear him at all as he suddenly appeared in front of me, his hands gripping my shoulders suddenly .

"It's relevant to me," it sounded as if he was trying to hold in his snarl and to which caused his voice to be strained. Red filled my vision, along with a dark grey showing his sadness for me. I reeled back and blinked several times, the feeling of wanting to cry even stronger.

"I don't want to talk about it right now. Please," I hated how I sounded so weak, so broken but I couldn't help it. I smiled without any feeling. "Isn't it pathetic how it still affects me even after all of these years? Sometimes I wonder if I'll always be stuck, never being able to move forward without his ghost following somewhere behind me." The time had come for my sadness, anger, and hopelessness to finally break through. Tears poured down my face in streams and I wrapped my arms around myself to to keep from falling apart completely. A loud sob broke through my lips and I bowed my head so he wouldn't see how unsightly I was. That was until I was pulled into a hard body and wrapped up in an addicting embrace. I froze momentarily from shock before I registered what was happening.

"Don't worry. Everything is going to be fine because I'll hunt his ghost and rip his head off so that he'll never haunt you again," he murmured, petting my head in a soothing manner. "I'll make it my life's mission to hunt down every single one of those sick bastards who laid a hand on you." I chuckled while still crying, wrapping my arms around his waist and pulling him closer. I burrowed my face closer to his chest and let myself cry for what seemed like years.

Ryker simply held me, at one point picking me up and carrying me over to the couch so he cradle me in his lap like a child. But for once I didn't care, I just let him. I cried silently into his shirt, gripping onto his shoulders tightly with emotion.

It might have been hours but it surely was only just a few minutes before the tears stopped flowing and I just lied there, emotionally spent. Ryker was still running his fingers through my hair, murmuring comforting words. Once he noticed that I wasn't crying he stopped. I pulled back and looked up at him. I heard his sharp intake of breath at the sight of my vulnerability.

"I bet I look like crap on a stick, huh?" I tried to smile but managed only a small upturn of the lips. He was silent as I felt his fingers trail down my cheeks where the tears left their trails.

"You're even more beautiful," he said and hugged me, cupping the back of my head in his large hand. I was shocked once more. I expected some contact of the lips of some sort but not this sweet as sugar hug. I felt like crying again but this time not from sadness, but just from being treated so sweetly by my mate. I lifted my arms and hugged him back, playing with his hair at the nape of his neck.

The silence between us was comforting as we relished in one another's company, feeling comfortable. Until a noise made me stiffen and I pulled back to turn my head. Not a moment later Ryker stiffened also as he heard it.

"Oh lovebirds! Where the are you?!" I heard the familiar voice of Draven as he walked into the room, his presence light and cheery. I noticed his form stop once he spotted us. "Sweet Goddess, you weren't about to think about doing what I would do, weren't you?" I don't know what compelled me to but I just threw my head back and laughed. I laughed until I had cramps on my sides and I nearly fell off the couch if Ryker wasn't there to hold on to me.

"Alpha, I'm sorry to say but I think I broke your mate with my witting humor," I heard Draven say.

"If you did, I'll break you," was his reply and he sounded serious too. Once my laughter became into spastic giggles, I looked towards him.

"Don't worry, you didn't break me."

"Good 'cause I was starting to get worried there," he sounded almost relieved. I chuckled once more and tried to make a move to get up but was stopped by the iron bars of Ryker's arms.

"Was there anything you needed?" I questioned, recalling how he seemed to be looking for us.

"Oh yeah, Alpha Hale called asking when you guys would be back."

"Right now," I replied almost instantly. I managed to untangle myself and stand up.

"So quickly? But you haven't gotten to see Mom and Dad yet and I know they would be thrilled to see you. They'll be back from pack business in just a little bit." I smiled warmly at the mention of his parents.

"Don't worry I'll come back again," I assured him. I walked over and gave him a bone crushing but quick hug before pulling away. I noticed how Ryker didn't say anything but lace our fingers together once I was back at his side.

"Well alright. Maria is busy with her tutor at the moment but I'll tell her that you had to leave on a very important mission." I rolled my eyes but smiled thankfully at him.

"Thank you. I'll come back to visit as soon as I can but in the meantime, behave." He laughed and I could hear the grin in his voice as we began walking away.

"You know I can't keep the ladies at bay," he joked and I laughed.

"Yeah, the old ladies." I retorted back before the door shut on his loud laughter. Once again we were left in silence as Ryker gently tugged me along through the hallways.

He didn't say a word as he led me outside into the early afternoon air. We stood in the middle of the yard and I tilted my face up towards the sun, letting myself soak up the warm rays.

"You know," he started, "I love it when you laugh but I don't get to hear it as often that I would like to." I smiled and opened my eyes to look up at him.

"Maybe because your humor is as funny as a rock," I teased. He chuckled and I felt him pick up a lock of my hair and tickle my face with it.

"I would be offended if it wasn't true." I laughed out loud once more and I saw the happiness radiate from him, the dark lavender beautiful with his black.

"I'm glad you're aware," I said, while poking his side. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders while my arm snaked around his slender waist and we walked towards the edge of the woods. I could see the colors of all of the wildlife stretch beyond my vision, the sparks of life comforting me from the black abyss.

"I've decided that when we get back I am going do what I should have done when I first saw you," he stated.

"And what would that be?" I asked, amused. He didn't say anything for a moment.

"I am going to take you out on a date," he paused. "Unless you would prefer not to."

"King, I can guarantee you that I'll go anywhere with you at this point." He pulled me closer in response.

"Oh? Well how about we go to the bedroom then," his voice became a deep husky sound and I almost melted right then and there.

"How many times will I say it? Equation," I stated, surprised to hear that my voice sounded clear while my insides felt like goo. He groaned but kissed my head.

"Algebra can go to Hell," he grumbled. I smirked over at him.

"Algebra is Hell," I said before shifting and taking off.