Chapter 10 - Sleepwalking

Start from the beginning

"Oh my god!" I squealed, pretending to be shocked and afraid. Jackson stumbled backwards, unsure of what lay before him. "Jackson, watch out!"

But I was too late. He had already ran into the ladder, thus knocking it over and cutting all the lights in the store. We were now engulfed in complete darkness. Jackson let out a shaky breath and I could hear his heartbeat picking up. He then grabbed my wrist and pulled me behind a shelf. 

"What are you doing?" I whispered.

His chest was heaving and his eyes were wide with fear. "I saw something,"

Oh god, what if The Alpha is still here? What if Jackson and I are next? I was really beginning to wish I had called one of my werewolf friends, they seem like our best hope at the moment. But if I called them now, Jackson would question, and I could certainly not have that.

He peeked around the corner, only to instantly pull his head back. Something darted past us, running on all fours. But, for some reason, I really wasn't all that afraid. I don't know why and I can't entirely explain it but, I'm just not. It's not that I felt safe either, I simply wasn't scared.

A few movies toppled off the shelf and onto our backs. Then there was a giant crash, followed by another, and another. The shelves were falling over like dominoes. Was this thing trying to kill us? Jackson grabbed my arm and flung me out of harm's way. He dove to save himself, but his legs were caught underneath the shelf that had been hiding us.

"Jackson!" I exclaimed, dropping to my knees beside him. I had to at least try and pull him out or something. This guy who previously thought of me as no one, as a freak, had just saved my life. I was shocked that he hadn't gotten himself out first, then seeing if there was enough time for me.

He cringed at the weight pinning down his lower half. "Just go! You won't be able to lift it!"

I ignored him. I pulled on his shoulders, trying to slide him out, but to no avail. I then stood up and curled my fingers underneath the shelf. With all my might, I lifted the thing up, but only an inch. It wasn't enough for Jackson to escape. 

Slightly out of breath, I saw a shadow appear in front of me. My hands began to shake, I was frozen. I noticed a blackened claw reach out, pulling back the collar of Jackson's shirt. It was examining something on the back of his neck. I noticed them too, they appeared to be scratches. A purple light shone softly from his wounds.

Before I even had time to think about Jackson's markings, what I assumed was The Alpha, approached me. I didn't want to turn around, but something made me, something within me. It's eyes were the first thing I saw. They were as red as the blood on the dead man only fifteen feet away from me.

With it's claws, it lifted up the bottom of my t-shirt, revealing the scar of the bite mark I was given three years ago. To my surprise, it tapped my bite mark. Then, it sprinted away, crashing through the window. I heard an ear-piercing scream from outside. I assumed it was Lydia who had been waiting in the car. I wondered why she didn't come to inspect when the lights went out.

I felt as though I couldn't breathe. All of my theories were proven true in that moment. That was the wolf who bit me, and now that they are stronger...so am I.

☼ 

"No, you don't understand!" Jackson yelled. "Which kind of blows my mind, since it should be a pretty basic concept to grasp for minimum wage rent-a-cop like you!"

I was sitting in the back of one of the ambulances, being asked all kinds of questions from medics and policemen. I had told them all the same story - I was looking for a movie to watch when Jackson came in and we stumbled across the body. Then something knocked the shelves over and we saw a 'mountain lion' run past and crash through the window.