Chapter 35

The world spun as I opened my eyes to a wooden ceiling, darkness surrounding me. Coming to my senses, I became aware of hushed voices outside the bedroom door. I sat up slowly, wincing from a pain in my side. I supposed that would happen after one gets stabbed through the stomach. Cautiously, I lifted my shirt up and touched my stomach. The wound was gone... Strange.

Looking about, I realized I was back at Cheshire's. I was in Chesh's room. The door was closed and the lights were off. I must have been sleeping when they brought me in. I pull myself out of bed, fully knowing I would be scolded for doing so, and walked over to the door slowly. When I pushed it open, I saw Chesh and Rab seated on the couch talking. I had hoped to my presence known with a calmer approach, however the squeaking of the door gave me away.

The two looked up and Cheshire stood. "What're you doing out of bed?" he asked, rushing over to me. "You should be resting."

I leaned into his touch. "What happened?" I asked. "I thought I was going to die..."

Chesh took no time in picking me up, resting my head on his shoulder. "I'll tell you later. Let's just get you back to bed for now," he whispered into my hair.

Though I wanted to know what was going on as soon as possible, I nodded and allowed myself to be carried back to bed. He laid me down and pulled the blankets up, making sure I was comfortable before he kissed my forehead and left. I watched him go. When the door closed, I sighed deeply and tried to sleep.

The room fell silent, but I could still hear soft whispers as the two outside talked back and forth quietly. I knew they were talking about the queen; that was probably why they didn't want me in the room. I wondered if she had been found by her guards yet. If so, there was a bound to be a riot. They could storm the forest. Maybe the centipede had taken over for the queen, and if he had, then I was sure he was already plotting something.

As I lay there, I started feeling worried. So much so I found I was unable to sleep. Was everyone okay? I had seen Rab and Cheshire, but I didn't know about the others. They hadn't been talking with Chesh and Rab, as far as I could see, they hadn't been in the house. I hoped everyone had made it out safely.

Eventually, I fell asleep; however, my sleep was haunted by nervous nightmares. I tossed and turned, seeing blood and hearing screams. I didn't know who was screaming because the other sounds were far too loud to make out specific voices. I saw the queen with her sword and I heard it slice through me. I didn't feel pain though, I could only see it. On the faces of my friends. I cried out and begged to have the torturous stares taken away, screaming for darkness so I wouldn't have to see anything.

Suddenly, I felt a hand shaking me awake. "Alice... Wake up," Cheshire urged. "You're screaming."

Blinking my eyes open, I stared up at him. When I had grounded myself in reality, I settled back. "Sorry..." I murmured. 

Chesh smiled and brushed my hair with his fingers. "It's alright. Nothing to be sorry about," he said. He leaned down and kissed my forehead gently. "I'll leave you alone now. If you need anything, just call me. I'll be in the living room."

When I realized he was leaving, I reached out and grabbed the edge of his shirt in a panic. "Wait... Please..." I said. My throat tightened as the thought of being away from him again hit like a ton of rocks. "Don't go..."

A frowned creased, Cheshire's brow, but he didn't protest and slowly sat back down on the bed next to me. "What's wrong? Are you in pain?" he asked.

I shook my head and forced myself to sit up. I placed my arms around Cheshire's neck and pulled him close to me. Then, as I buried my face in his neck, I whispered, "I thought I'd never see you again..." I said with a shaky exhale. I squeezed him tightly. "I thought I was going to die and never get to see you ever again. I thought I wouldn't get to tell you how much I love you. I-I was so-... so scared!"