Chapter 30

With deft feet, I raced through the trees. I could see the castle's towers through the tree tops as I pushed on, hurrying on my way as fast as I could. When I woke up from the portal, I'd been in the room I had found myself in my first day in. After getting out in a similar fashion as before, I had run to Cheshire's, but he hadn't been there. I decided my best bet was to go straight to the castle and had taken off as soon as possible.

As I spotted the wall through the forest, I slowed my steps. Approaching the edge of the woods, I heard voices.

"I hear the queen might be having a personal execution," someone said.

I hid around a tree and looked out. Several guards were patrolling the wall. One of them sighed. "She's been testy the last few weeks. Probably because of that kid, the one that escaped," he said.

"Yeah. Some rumors around the castle say she's been trying to get information out of that rabbit that used to work for the White Queen," the other replied. "No luck though. He won't talk. My bet is he never will."

My heart went out to Rab. There was no telling that they had done to him during my absence. I was about to sneak past them when they began talking again. "He's stubborn. He always has been. But he'll break eventually," the one with a gruffer voice said.

"I wouldn't be surprised if the queen decides to kill him before that happens," said the other. "That pet of hers is already on her last nerves. The royal doctor barely managed to patch him up after the queen's last fit."

They both chuckled. "Serves him right. He betrayed the queen."

I glared at them. They betrayed the White Queen, they betrayed my mother. It took everything in me to keep my silence and wait for them to pass, and once they were out of sight, I ran across to the moat. How would I get over it? I looked around me at with a frown. The canopy of tree branches hung over me, shading the area. Maybe I could climb across to a tree on the other side; that method would keep me mostly out of sight too.

I picked a tree with strong branches low enough for me to reach and started to hoist myself towards the sky. When I got as far up as I could, I started to crawl across the branches, taking my time so as not to lose my balance and fall. When I reached the sparser areas, I hesitated. The branches bent under my weight. I would have to move faster over this area. I took a deep breath and narrowed my eyes. Then I started scrambling over the branches.

I was just stepping onto the next tree when there was a snapping sound. My eyes widened and I jumped, grabbing onto another limb on the opposite tree. The branch I had been on broke and fell into the water, something snapping it up and dragging it below the surface and out of sight in seconds. I sighed, exasperated, and started pulling myself up. I hoisted my body onto the branch and began crawling towards the stump, making my way to the ground carefully. Once my feet were safely planted in the grass, I sighed in relief and started looking for a way into the castle.

As I walked around the wall, I was careful to watch for soldiers. When I made it to my intended destination, I began rapping on the stones, pressing gently on them one at a time as I waited for a result. I had knocked on about thirty stones when I heard a hollow sound come from one. I pressed on the stone again and it sank into the wall. Immediately, the grass a foot away opened up and a hole appears in the ground. 

I hurried over and jumped into the hole, taking only a glance at the remaining light above me before I started making my way through the tunnel. I tried my best to remember the path Cheshire and I had taken, and eventually I made it to a familiar looking door. I put my ear against it and listened. Silence. I pushed the door open quietly, stepping into the queen's bedroom. To my relief, the room was empty. My feet made soft padding sounds as I walked across the carpeted floor hurriedly. 

Stepping into the hall, I looked around. If I remembered correctly, the courtyard was to my left. However, I decided to go to the right since I had begun to notice voices in that direction. Soon I came to a door that was open a crack. My eyebrows drew together when I heard the queen's voice. "I have no further use for any of them," she said vehemently. "They're just taking up space and food."

"Then get rid of them. It'll be a stress reliever for your highness as well," a second voice said. Immediately, I recognized it to be the centipede's. My eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"But what if Alice comes back? I'll have nothing to bargain with," the queen said.

"Since when does your highness bargain? If Alice comes back then you can just get rid of him like the others," the centipede replied.

There was a moment of silence; the queen was thinking about her answer. "How soon would you suggest I set the execution?" she asked.

The centipede chuckled. "Might as well make it today," he said. "The sooner the better, in my opinion."

As soon as I heard the centipede's reply, I started running. I had to find Cheshire before the queen assembled the execution. I ducked past soldiers and hid behind pillars as I tried to find the dungeon. However, I couldn't remember the exact route. I walked around for who-knows-how-long before I came to a stairwell guarded by two soldiers. 

"That must be it..." I murmured to myself as I watched the guards from across the hall. How would I get past them? If I even thought about walking around the corner, they'd see me for sure. There was no way to just slip by unseen.

I was looking around for an idea when I noticed a suit of armor a few feet down the hall. Getting the idea I needed, I hurried over and put all my weight against it. I pushed it to the ground with a huge crash. Then I ran to an empty room and waited for the guards to run by.

Once it was clear, I ran down the stairwell, taking the steps two at a time. As I reached the bottom, I stepped next to the doorway and peeked in. I scanned the splitting hallway cautiously. There were a couple guards that I hid from as they walked past. I saw the dungeon door down one hall, and after making sure it was safe, raced down that way, running down more steps before I came to the dungeon floor. I crouch down as I looked around the wall. A single soldier sat in a chair in a nearby corner, eyes closed in rest. He wouldn't be a problem, I figured.

Looking about the dungeon, I spotted the twins. Their eyes were puffy from crying. I also saw Mouse and March in a far cell, and Rab who's eye was swollen shut and completely black in color some cells down. Then my gaze settled on the matted, drooping ears and faded turquoise eyes. My eyes saw a mangled tail curled around a boney ankle, and hands crossed limply around his knees. Even the usual bright skin that was normally full of life looked dull and gray. It made my heart ache as I took in Cheshire's whole appearance. 

My eyes watered in sadness that my beloved Cheshire had been hurt so badly. If I looked close enough, I could see the dark bruises on his arms. There were deep cuts covering him as well, one stretching all the way down his face, over his right eye. There was only one thing about him that I could smile about as the tears pulled at my eyes. He was alive. He was breathing. I wasn't too late to save him.

*******

Subscribe to my YouTube at: Melanie Eberheart

Donate to my Patreon at: patreon.com/MelanieEberheart

Or follow me on Tumblr at: nekosaysmeow333

-Nekoco