Part 19 Not all stories are happy: part 1, stampede

Kion and Jasiri were sleeping lazily in the lair. Kion's father asked him to go on early border patrol because of Janja and his clan. While Jasiri was left with the twins who started fighting, something about which one of them was older than the other. 

           Kion and Jasiri were woken up by their kids. "Mommy, why haven't we met Mufasa yet?" Asked CJ. Kion and Jasiri's eyes shoot open at the question. They look at each other searching for an answer. Kion sighed and looks at his kids. "Kids, sit down, I'm going to tell you a story." Kion said. "Yay story time! Story time!" The kids yell while jumping up and down. "But it's a story without a happy ending." Kion said. Jasiri, sensing her mates distress, nuzzles him. 

             Kion starts the story.

Long ago when your grandpa was about your age, he and his uncle Scar were in the canyons. Scar told Simba that his father had a surprise for him and told him to stay there. "Can you tell me what it is can you, can you?" Simba asked excitedly. "Now if I told you it wouldn't be a surprise now would it." Said Scar. "Well if you tell me, I can still act surprised." Said Simba, desperate to know the answer. Scar gave a grin at the thought of his plan. "Trust me, it's to 'die' for. Now keep practicing your roar." He said, his smile growing with every word. 

        Simba sat like he was told and practiced, waited for his father. After several tries he managed to roar. A rumble caught his attention and as he squinted his eyes, he realized that a herd of wild buffalo head towards him. Terrified, he ran away as fast as he could. Simba noticed a nearby branch and held on for dear life.

        Zazu flew over and searching for him. "HELP!" Yells Simba.  Zazu looks down in horror. "Don't worry young prince, your father is on his way!" Yells Zazu. The branch soon started to break. Simba heard a roar. He looks up saw his dad and uncle Scar. "DAD!" Simba yells over the rumble of hooves on rock. 

        Mufasa jumps into the stampede to get his son, who fell into it. After getting Simba out, Mufasa was pulled back in. He managed to scale the wall. "Help me brother." Mufasa begged Scar, who sank his claws into his brother's and wishers just loud enough for only Mufasa could hear. "Long live the king." And let go. Mufasa fell back into the canyon and was trampled by the buffalo. 

      Simba and Zazu could only watch as the king fell to his death, neither knowing what really caused him to fall. After the stampede was over, Simba went in search of his father only to find his body laying there.