CHAPTER 8.

Our friends teasing us both was manageable. But the teasing fired up when the teachers started to take a special interest on our friendship. Our Math teacher, Sir James, was consistent on reminding me of that time on 2nd grade when Ran told him that he had a crush on me when I was still his classmate. Again, I couldn't recall if we were really classmates then. I belonged to two homerooms then – the first one, I had Sir James as my homeroom teacher.

I transferred homerooms days/weeks after the school year started because I was being a baby about the location of the class room – under the staircase.

Up until we were in 6th grade, Sir James never forgot to tease Ran and I. He'd always announce how good we'd look together. That's right, when 6th grade came, we were still classmates. However, things were once again a little bit different. We weren't in talking terms, again.

The first quarter of the 6th grade school year, I was blessed to be not seated beside him again. This didn't last long though, because they changed seating arrangement after the first quarter. My homeroom teacher, Miss Gem, was busy at the time, so in her stead, our Science teacher and my former homeroom teacher from 5th grade Miss Mira took over the seating situation of our class. Miss Mira being my homeroom teacher the previous year, who knows about Ran and I and all the other "love teams" we had back then, did not even blink when she started calling out names of students in the class. First was Roanna and Karl, and then some other classmates, and then it was my turn to be tortured.

"Ran, magpalitan kayo ni Diana." I literally felt my heart jump its highest when I heard Miss Mira say that. I was seated next to Diana, so that meant one thing.

"Ma'am?!" I exclaimed as Ran was ready to pick up his bag and march his way to me. I held on to Diana's hands to stop her.

"Bawal complain." She said, teasing me with a smile. "Di bale, bukas na lang lilipat si Ran diyan." She continued. I was probably talked about behind my back for being picky or unreasonable. But I knew it'd be awkward for Ran and I to be seated next to each other again after a quarter of not interacting with each other. And I was honestly starting to lose control over my feelings for him. I thought I'd be over it after a couple months of summer break, but to no avail.