Journey to The Capitol - Part 2

I woke up this morning with instant tears. I knew that I couldn't hold on much longer. I waited a bit more for the tears to recede but I feel too numb to cry. Instead, I just lay in my bed, completely paralyzed at the full impact of fear of the Games, the Capitol and definitely, death.

I eventually get the energy to get up and walk over to my train window to figure out how long we had. District 5. That means we'll be arriving at the Capitol anytime today. Great...

Effie bursts in.

"Come on! It's going to be a big, big, big day!" she beams. I wonder what on Earth fuels her enthusiasm but decide not to question her.

I head to the sink to splash my face with cold water reminding me of those endless hours of hunting in the snow with Katniss. Good memories.

I wander down to the dining area and find that Katniss and Haymitch are already there. Haymitch is red-eyed and trying to converse with Katniss while she tries to stuff her mouth with food to have a good excuse not to talk.

"Sit down! Sit down! Please join us!" Haymitch says.

I slide into the booth next to Katniss while Haymitch wiggles his eyebrows. I give him a low growl and he backs off. I'm not that intimidating am I? Katniss smirks and continues to eat.

My plate is instantly loaded with sausages, eggs, bacon, rolls, orange juice, you name it. Half way through my plate, I realise something terrible. I'm eating all of the delicious food that the Capitol takes for granted while innocent kids at home starve. Losing my appetite, I push my plate away from me.

Once I've tuned back in, I see Katniss is dipping pieces of roll into something called hot chocolate while Haymitch is gulping yet some more spirits. Katniss and I see Haymitch once in a while back in District Twelve. He's always tossing some money to a woman who sells white liquor. Typical.

Katniss leans back in satisfaction.

"So, you're supposed to give us some advice." she says, seriously.

Haymitch drops his smile.

"Here's some advice."  and leans closer with a frown, as if he's about to tell us some big secret.

"Stay alive." he says, gruffly before bursting into laughter. Katniss and I exchange a look.

"Very funny." I say with a sarcastic smile. I knock the glass out of his hand which sends the ruby red liquid onto the carpet.

He looks to me in disbelief and then punches me in the jaw. He caught me off guard but it didn't really hurt. Before I could hit back, Katniss grabs a knife and slams it in between his hand and the bottle, barely missing his fingers. I smirk.

"Well, what's this?" Haymitch smiles, leaning back. "Did I actually get a pair of fighters this year?"

My jaw is burning but I ignore it.

"Make sure you don't put ice on that. Let it show. The audience will think you've mixed it up with another tribute before you've even made it to the arena." he smirks.

"That's against the rules." Katniss interrupts. I want it to show to make me look tough though...

"Only if they catch you. That bruise will say that you fought and you weren't caught, even better." says Haymitch. He turns to Katniss.

"Can you hit anything with that knife besides a table?"

Katniss stands up and yanks the knife free out of the table. She gets her grip on the handle and throws it across the room. The knife lodges in between two boards. I smile to myself.

"Stand over here. Both of you." Haymitch demands. We walk to the middle of the room, side by side.

He begins to circle us checking our muscles, examining our faces. We don't question him. I mean, the best-looking usually gets more sponsors.

"All right, I'll make a deal with you. You don't interfere with my drinking, and I'll stay sober enough to help you." says Haymitch. "But you have to do exactly what I say."

It's not like last night's deal but still a giant step forward from ten minutes ago when we had no guide at all.

"Fine." Katniss grumbles.

"So help us." I say, annoyed. "When we get into the arena, what's the best strategy at the Cornucopia for someone- "

"One thing at a time. In a few minutes, we'll be pulling into the station. You'll be put in the hands of your stylists. You're not going to like what they do to you. But no matter what it is, don't resist." Haymitch says, sternly.

"But -" Katniss begins.

"No buts. Don't resist." Haymitch interrupts. He takes the bottle of spirits from the table and leaves the carriage.

As the door swings shut behind him, the whole train goes dark. There are still a few lights inside, but outside, it's as if night has fallen again. We must be in the tunnel that leads to the Capitol.

Katniss and I stand for a few moments. Wanting to make my move, I grab her hand and she jumps but all I can feel is an electricity-like sensation. She gives me a soft squeeze back which makes me melt.

"What? You scared of the dark?" she teases.

No, I'm crushing on the girl I'm holding hands with I think.

"Yes mummy." I pout, sarcastically. She smirks when the light floods the room. Haymitch staggers in, mumbling about how he forgot some ice. I ignore him and pull Katniss over to see the city that controls Panem.

It's a grand city with so many colours clashing to make a dis-assembled rainbow. I personally think that that it's not very attractive because of people's sense of fashion but Katniss lets go of my hand and reaches out to touch it. She must be reminded that this city is in charge of The Hunger Games and starvation because she snatches her hand back in disgust.

As we pull up into the station, the Capitol residents begin to recognize the Tribute train. They start cheering and throwing their hands up in celebration. What's wrong with them? I still can't believe that they want twenty-three teenagers to die for their entertainment.

"Go and wave." Haymitch orders. I forgot he was even there.

"Why?" Katniss questions.

"Because although they are pretty much responsible for your death, they can also save your life." he motions to the maniacs out the window.

I see Katniss force her lips into a smile and start waving. 

I shrug.

"One of them might be rich." Katniss reasons so I decide to join her. Little did the crazy Capitol residents know that our hands intertwined below the window.

Don't you know how much I hate you? I want to say, but I decide to keep quiet. I try to keep my anger in but I lose it when I see Haymitch try to sneak in another bottle of red wine. I huff in frustration, picking up Katniss' knife she threw earlier and throw it right in front of Haymitch's head, startling him so much that he drops his glass.

"Geez, all you gotta do is ask!" he puts his hands up in mock surrender and returns the bottle. I smirk, turning back to the window.

I can't help but feel my lips curving down instead of up. I don't even know how I'll get through the Tribute Parade. Luckily, before I completely lose it, the train finally stops and we're lead off into the Remake Center before I can say good-bye to Katniss.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this isn't one of my best chapters sorry :L

Love you all and enjoy! :) <3 xx