Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire

Haymitch's POV

After a few drinks with Chaff, the victor of the 45th Hunger Games, we stumble into the Broadcast room, barely sober. We make it just as Gale is lifted into the arena. My eyes are glued to the screen. The four of them, being Katniss, Gale, Thresh and Rue, are figuring out where they will meet. Go to the woods on the right. I say, desperately sending them messages through my brain. Although they can't hear me, Katniss wipes her hands on her knees, the signal to got to the right of the Cornucopia. I let out a sigh of relief as I hold onto Seeder, the victor of the 33rd Hunger Games, for support.

The victors are very tight because we all know how it feels to be broken, barely being stitched back up, only to be smashed again, every year. We walk over to Finnick, Mags, Blight and Johanna while they stare at the screen. Finnick won the 65th Games, Mags won the 9th Games, Blight won the 54th Games and Johanna won the 71st Games. Both Finnick and Mags are from District 4, Johanna and Blight being from District 7 and Chaff and Seeder from District 11. I, being all alone, made friends and fit in just fine.

The time is ticking and Katniss' eyes are set on the silver bow. No, no, no! She's not ready for the bloodbath. She doesn't know what she's up against! Luckily, Gale watches her too, shaking his head to distract her. The gong sounds as the bloodbath begins. Gale runs straight for the midnight blue back pack thirty meters in front of him. Katniss, confused at Gale's earlier gesture, is stepping from side to side, her feet not knowing what her brain wants to do. She makes up her mind and lunges forward to scoop up a plastic sheet and a loaf of bread. She then runs to an orange backpack and wrestles with the District nine boy.

My eyes find Gale on screen, going for the silver bow that Katniss was going for. He runs straight in and dives for it and picking up a knife set while he slides on his belly. The boy from District one, Marvel I think, tries to spear him but Gale rolls over just in time.

I look over to Katniss who is being chased by the District two girl, Clove. Katniss told me about her. She's a maniac with knives. She flings the knife at Katniss who has picked up speed. Katniss blocks it with her pack and disappears into the woods. Gale is still running, dodging Marvel's spears before Marvel, absolutely livid, turns back to the other supplies at the mouth of the Cornucopia. Gale lunges to grab a small, black briefcase before sprinting into a wheat field just a mile away from the woods.

"Yes, yes, yes!" I shout, pumping my fists in the air. All the heads in the room turn in my direction.

"That's right. Both of my Tributes survived the bloodbath!" I slur, pretending to be drunk. Most people don't know I'm smart. They usually think I'm always dumb and drunk but I'm not. Drinking is just a temporary way to forget the past.

I slump into my chair and so does everyone else. We have a few moments silence when Finnick screams someone's name. Mags rushes over to him and comforts him. He's sweating and panting, clutching onto the sofa until his knuckles go white. He had a flashback.

Victors usually go through them every year. Memories of their previous Hunger Games haunt them for life, including me. Every time I think of the beautiful arena, the forcefield, Maysilee Donner...

I push my thoughts to the back of my mind, taking another sip of beer.

"What happened?" Finnick asks, his eyes scanning the area like he's never been here.

"You had an... episode." I tell him.

"Oh. Sorry." he mutters, as Johanna puts her hand on his shoulder.

Mags keeps muttering to him although no one can understand her except for Finnick. She had a stroke just when Finnick finished his Victory tour.

"Take a walk, Haymitch. We'll alert you if anything happens." he translates. I nod and head out into the City. Time to get some sponsors...

Gale's POV

I slow myself into a steady jog, stuffing the briefcase into my bag. I keep the bow out though. I got it for Katniss but I'm sure I can give it to her when I find her. I need to find Thresh immediately. The wheat field feels very sinister and uncomfortable but I'm sure there are some life-changing supplies here. This place itself is capable of life and death.

I slow down to a brisk walk, desperately trying to find water. That was Haymitch's first instruction. I find a small pond in no time but I don't want to stop. I pass by three more before settling in, convinced that no one will attack.

I spread out the supplies that I gained at the Cornucopia. Rope, matches, a bottle of iodine, jerky, a large canteen and a loaf of bread were in my blue backpack. I have a silver bow with arrows and that strange black briefcase.

Cautiously, I open it up and my breath is taken away. I small black bow and quiver lies inside. It's folded and elegant, like it was made by the Capitol. Who else can make this sleek, compatible bow?

I can't help but marvel at it's beauty. It's black, but when it moves, red, orange and yellow highlights flicker off it. Reminds me of fire. And fire reminds me of Katniss. This bow is meant for her, I know it.

I'm still examining my latest item when the cannons start booming. They keep going on and on until they reach eleven. Eleven dead.

I take note that the silver bow is capable of being folded too. How convenient.

I sit down on a rock, taking sips of my water while pondering on what I should do next. Should I take the liberty of tracking Thresh or should I go ahead and hike to the woods to search for Katniss? Or should I just sit here and wait for them to find me?

I decide to walk in the general direction of the woods. Besides, the only reason I came here was because I saw Thresh come here. Otherwise I would've gone to the woods, which provides food, shelter and immediate comfort.

As soon as I set out, I feel somewhat insecure. The sun is beating down on me, a sheen of sweat making an appearance on my forehead. I shift my head side to side, loaded bow in hand. The pale, brown grass prevents me from seeing anything, as it reaches as high as my shoulders.

A rustle comes from behind me as the boy from 4 screams his head off, charging at me with his sword. Startled by his battle cry, I feel a sharp, distinct slit on my stomach. Without missing a beat, he grabs his knife and is about to stab me when the spear impales him from behind. He falls to the ground as I catch a glimpse of the girl from 3, fifty feet away from me. She's running toward me, reloading a spearhead, when my silver arrow drives into her heart without hesitation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D: Loving my cliffhanger? Well, there's plenty more where that came from because there's a whole lot more coming! :D Anyways, did you guys like Haymitch's POV? Guess who came up with that idea? Me! If you liked it, please vote and/or comment because I love your feedback! Any who, just saying that it said that Blight's Hunger Games were NOT stated in the book so I put 54 because him and Haymitch seem slightly the same in age. And those of you who know me, that wasn't the only reason I picked 54 (you know who you are ;3). So I kinda lied about my break, it's just that it might take a LITTLE longer to publish. MIGHT. I will be doing more POVs from different people but if you say otherwise, I won't. Please give me feedback as I'm feeling a bit lost with my book :/ Love you all and enjoy! :) <3 xx