Exposing Secrets

I wake up to three heads that I did not expect. Craig, Spontina and Rambina are hanging over me, getting ready to make me look unforgettable. The moment my eyes open, they pounce on me, working late into the afternoon, scrubbing my skin (yet again), washing and styling my hair, filing my nails to make them look 'normal' and even forcing me to put on a thin layer of make-up. Portia comes in with my costume.

"Are you ready sugar?" she beams.

"As ready as I'll ever be." I say.

"By the way, I made a few alterations." she informs, handing me the outfit. I go to change and look at myself in the mirror. She made it so that there are little flickers of flames and bits of ash at the bottom of each leg pant and instead of sequins, they are now glistening gems. I step outside and get more attention than I hoped for.

"And I thought it couldn't get any better." I say to the astonished Portia. The suit is surprisingly comfortable but no where near as comfortable as my hunting gear. We're lead to the elevators, waiting for Katniss' team. 

Her team slowly come to view, Cinna and finally Katniss. She looks truly exquisite in her gem-covered dress, elaborate hair and magnificent make-up. Red flame patterns are stencilled all up her arms and her make-up is drop-dead gorgeous. SHE is drop-dead gorgeous. I feel kind of under-dressed but Katniss brightens at my appearance.

Before she says anything, I offer my arm, She happily takes it as I escort her into the elevator. 

"Hey Catnip. You look ravishing." I almost purr in her ear. Wait, since when do I purr? Her cheeks turn slightly pink when the elevator stops and we all file out of the car. I vaguely take note that Haymitch and Effie have styled up for the occasion which kind of takes me by surprise. Cinna probably wrestled him into that red bow-tie...

Right before we parade onto the stage, where we will sit in an arc for the next hour or so, Haymitch stops us.

"Smile and be as desirable as possible." he instructs. He gives us a quick nod as we walk single-file on stage and take our seats.

Just by stepping on stage, I can hear Katniss' ragged breaths as clings onto her skirt like there's no tomorrow. The whole City Circle is filled to the brim with room for only standing. Stylists claim the front row and the Gamemakers take their place in the elevated seating area.

I find myself slightly shaking as Caesar Flickerman, the host for more than forty years, gives a warm welcome to everyone with an enormous amount of confidence. My jealousy of Peeta slaps me hard in the face again but I force it to the back of my mind.

I begin to take note of my fellow Tributes. The girl Tribute precedes the boy so that means I'm dead last. District One's girl has gone sexy all the way, twirling her blonde locks every five seconds. District Two's boy looks menacing, the sly girl from District 5, and slowly, one by one, the Tributes slip by their three minute interviews.

Much too soon, Rue comes up, floating in her fairy-like purple gown. Caesar is very helpful, encouraging shaky Tributes and turning their nervous answers into unforgettable ones by the way he responds.

Thresh comes up and he's solitary and very hostile, very much like my approach. Only I have to confess my undying love.

Suddenly, they're calling Katniss and she stands and makes her way to Caesar. They shake hands and quickly sit down. Under her mask of make-up, I can see a terrified look in her eyes. I give her a re-assuring look before she turns to Caesar. I must admit, she did really well, lightning up when she gets a satisfying reaction from the audience. She even giggles as she shows off her dress.

Suddenly, Caesar asks about Prim. Her face is flushed and she's pale and trying to look for someone in the crowd. For a split second, she lock onto my gaze as she gives me a desperate look. She breaks off our gaze and continues her search. She finally finds who she's looking for, who is Cinna, and her face floods with relief.

"Her name's Prim. She's just twelve. And I love her more than anything." she chokes out.

Caesar pushes for more information and then the buzzer goes off. Suddenly, my name is called. My heart freezes but I stand up and shake Caesar's slightly cold hand. I feel like a robot, not knowing what I'm doing and I feel as if I'm watching myself from the crowd.

I take a seat on the plush red couch and I sit as Effie instructed me to. Caesar claps his hands and gets on with it.

"So Gale! How do you find the Capitol?" he asks.

I think my answer through before replying.

"Different." It's not the best response but I'm not giving them credit for anything. Unlike the other Tributes, I'm not happy.

"In a word, I agree. I love his honesty don't you?" Caesar asks the audience. They respond with a series of small claps.

"Well done on your ten in Training! Do you think you're a target in the Games?"

"Oh yeah. I'm definitely the one for surprises." I try to intimidate. I look over to Haymitch and he motions to me to keep going.

"Can you tell me about your life in District Twelve?"

I desperately look to Haymitch. He shakes his head and I get a flashback.

They can take my future and even the present but they can't take the precious moments of the past.

My eyes fall on Portia. I take a deep breath.

"I have three siblings, Rory, Vick and Posy and my mother. I would give anything to be back home with them." I say, leaving my expression undecipherable.

Caesar look to me in disbelief.

"No girlfriend?" he gasps. A few girls start murmuring in the audience and I let out a small laugh.

"No."

"I don't believe that for a second! All the girls practically fainted when you showed up in the Tribute Parade. I even saw you winking at a few. Come on you can tell us!" he says, encouragingly.

"I don't think telling her, or you, will benefit me in any way. But it's a secret I've been dying to expose." The audience cheer me on, dying to know who it is.

"She have another fellow?" he raises his eyebrow. Peeta Mellark's name makes a temporary appearance in my train of thoughts but I seriously doubt it. I shake my head but add that alot of guys like her. And they do.

"What's her name?" he pleads, as if in pain.

I hesitate. It's either now or never. I hear the time ticking away and the audience voices die down.

"Her name is..." I choke. The crowd falls silent and every person is on the edge of their seats, trying to catch the name of my crush. It's so quiet, all I hear is the ticking of my timer. I look straight into the camera.

"Ka-Katniss Everdeen."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D: I SERIOUSLY LOVE THIS PART IN THE ACTUAL BOOK!!! I pretty much read each book at least five times. That's how much I love THG!!! Anyways, did you guys like my chapter and how I made Gale confess? ;) If you did, please vote and comment it will be very much appreciated! :D

Love you guys and enjoy! :) <3 xx