Chapter 19

Elvis POV

"Hello?" Joe's voice fills my ear from the other end of the telephone as he answers.

"Hi, it's me," I say simply, twisting the phone cord around my finger and biting the inside of my cheek. The sound of him talking is strange, I haven't spoken to any of my friends in a little while.

"Elvis!" He says, sounding happily surprised. "How is everything going over there? You haven't really called too much." I take in a deep breath and sit further back in the chair I am perched on.

"Yeah," I reply, rubbing my forehead with the palm of my hand. "Things have been pretty good. I've just had my hands full here lately." That is only the half of it to be honest. I've been so busy that I've barely even had any time to sleep. I know Joe understand, though. He always understands, that's why he's one of my best friends.

"Well don't work yourself too hard, man. I know you're in the army now but you sound exhausted. Take it easy." I just let out a sigh at his words. He's probably right. But not really wanting to talk about that too much I decide to change the subject.

"How are things back home?" I try to sound casual, but inside I am dying to know. I really miss everybody. It's been months since I've been enlisted and I'm really homesick. I've felt like crying more times than I can count. Being here in Texas while everyone else is back in Tennessee is rough. But at least my parents will be able to come out and live with me in a few weeks.

"Oh, we're all doing okay," he chuckles a little bit. "It's a little hectic without you but we're managing." I bite my lip and don't say anything for a few seconds. There's one thing that's been on my mind ever since I left. "How's Anna?"

"She got a job, been working there for almost a month," Joe answers, sounding amused. "Got sick of sitting around, I guess."

I roll my eyes, shaking my head. Of course she did. "That girl," I mutter, a small smile forming on my lips at the thought of her.

We talk for a little while longer until Joe informs me that he needs to go to bed. I hadn't been keeping track of time but glancing at the clock I see that it's after midnight. After we hang up I just sit there, feeling very heavy. I know I should get some sleep but I can't force myself to move. I am cemented there, the thoughts and memories of home flooding my mind. And after a few more moments of this, I feel my hands take over and pick up the phone once again. I watch as I dial the number.

ANNA'S POV

The shrill ringing of the phone in the other room jolts me awake. At first I am a little bit mixed up, not really fully awake, but after a few more rings I am able to make myself get out of bed. Glancing at the clock in my bedside table, I see that it's 12:37 in the morning. Who is calling this late?

Running across the floor in my bare feet, I open the door and hurry into the hallway. Thank goodness I'm the only one home tonight. I sure would be a sight running around in just my nightgown. The closest phone is in Elvis's room, so I quickly make my way down the hall. Once I reach the phone, I pick it up and hold it to my ear.