Chapter 18

A?N: Hey guys! I wanted to get this chapter up right after I finished writing it, but I haven't really had the chance to proof read it yet, so sorry if there are any mistakes. But other than that, I hope you enjoy! 

Elvis got his official draft notice a few weeks ago, and I have barely seen him since. Even though he's technically not gone for the army quite yet, he's been out in New Orleans filming King Creole and dealing with a bunch of other stuff. I shouldn't be surprised, I mean, I knew this was going to happen. It's just hard.

We haven't really kept in touch all that much since he's left. I mean he's called a few times, but we're not even close to talking every day anymore. In fact, I don't think I've heard anything from him in the past three days or so. I honestly think that it must have something to do with what happened between us on his birthday.

Gladys and Vernon have been in and out lately, too, helping Elvis with things. So that just leaves me alone at Graceland most of the time. Daisy will occasionally make an appearance when she takes a break from whatever she does during the day and Mary stops by sometimes to check up on me, but other than that I am usually all by myself in this big house.

As of right now I sit at the kitchen table with the newspaper spread out in front of me. As I read it, I can't help but linger over the job opportunities section. There seems to be an opening at a restaurant about twenty minutes from here just in the edge of town. I know how Elvis feels about me getting a job, but with everyone gone and all this time to myself, it's just too much for me to pass up. I pick a pen laying on the table beside me and circle the article in thick black ink.

Letting out a long sigh, I finish off the last of my tea before getting up and stretching. Carrying my empty mug back into the kitchen, I rinse it out and put it in the sink to wash later. Yawning, I make my way upstairs and into my room. Realizing that it's already past noon, I decide that it might be a good idea to change out of my pajamas. I stand at the open closet doors and try to begin on the task of getting dressed.

Running my fingers along each garment hanging up, I don't really see anything that catches my eye. Well, at least until my finger brushes against a soft yellow cotton number. I bite my lip as I pull it out to get a better look. It is a pale yellow short sleeved dress with eyelet detailing all over it and white lace trim decorating the hemline. The waist cinches in tightly while the skirt puffs out a good amount. This is one of the first dresses I bought for myself when I first got here, all those months ago.

Peeling off my robe and nightgown, I let it fall to the floor as I change into the dress. It is a little bit of a struggle pulling up the zipper in the back, but eventually I am able to get it on. Tiptoeing over to the mirror, I turn this way and that as I examine myself. The dress fits nicely, coming down about an inch past my knees. My hair is up in the messy bun that I had slept in, so I reach up and undo the hair tie, letting my loose auburn tresses fall free over my shoulders.

I've never really realized how long my hair has gotten. It hangs in loose curls a few inches past my waist. I mean, I'm not complaining. I love my hair when it's long, but it really isn't something that seems fit for this time period. Shrugging it off, I slip on my white ballet flats and make my way over the my vanity. I quickly throw on some mascara and lipgloss before heading back downstairs.

I nearly have a heart attack, though, when I reach the kitchen. Jerry stands there with the newspaper in his hands, nibbling on a piece of toast that he seems to had made himself . He briefly looks up and grins at me.