Chapter 31- A Message

Start bij het begin

****

I walked with Arya to the balcony. It was a small leave only about a foot. It was a nice lookout over the now non existent yard. All covered in snow and black skies. When would she see the sun again? The castle walls on the other side of the yard. Where Bran would mount his horse with the help of Hodor. Arya accompanied me. I wished to see Bran but when I saw my dear old friend I needed to spend a little alone time with her. I held Blizzard in my arms. She was pretty big now. She could hardly fit in my arms. Gods she grew fast. I stroked her ears lovingly. Nymeria trots over to Arya's other side to sniff up at my pup. Blizzard let out a yip and a strangled howl. The Erie sound was music to my ears. Made me truly feel like I belonged in the giant home of Winterfell. It was absolutely huge. It was beautiful. Ancient. Great. Bran told me all of its stories from his own experience through time and from teachings and stories he had learned. It felt like home. It was home. Every snow covered crest of it. Every ledge of the stones. "You're worried for our home. For our people. I know..I am too." Arya frowned. "I am still practicing in my skills of swordsmanship. I will fight to the death to protect my family. I have to." I smile and nod. I would as well. she read my mind. "You can't fight you know." "What?" "You can't fight. My job is to marry out of the family as a woman. But yours. All the same, you married a Stark. It is your duty. Your job to carry Bran's children. That's your most important task. To bed hum and bear sons and daughters in this harsh winter. To protect and care for them at all cost. They're his heirs. That is your job. Not fighting In a battlefield." "Arya. Your own mother has proved that-" "that there is more to womanhood than children? She fought because she had given her husband children. Fighting would protect her people, and them. Until you have children, you cannot fight." I frown in wonder. "Don't worry. I bet you'll have given him 6 children by the time we will need to fight." I blush. "Talisa has the same job?" "Of course! She's the lady of the house. She will take dear mother's place. And for now will be at her side. She's the lady heir. Women are just as important. Just as strong. Smarter. We carry the heirs and hold them. Birth them. And fight to protect them. We are capable of so much more than men. We fight AND have babes. It's wonderful. I used to not think so but having children is very important y/n." I shivered from a exceptionally harsh gust of wind. It warned me of how fragile everything was. How dangerous. It was a cold reminder. I hear a small tap behind me and a small curly haired boy joined Arya and i. Arya smiled and stroked her brother's hair. He looked up at her looking as if he was going to cry. I took his hand to comfort him and he averted her gaze, squeezing my hand hardly. Would we be ready? I couldn't lose this little one. Osha came up behind us. I smiled my hello. Rickon looked back and forth unsure of who to go to. Osha nodded to me and he looked up at me sadly. "Pick him up. Arya insisted. Rickon flushed in embarrassment. I lifted him up and supported him on my hip. He was a good kid. I loved him dearly. A special little boy. He needed to know that. He is far too young to be depressed.

Bran's POV
I tried hard to stay in the snow but I just couldn't. A raven's body temperature drops quickly. They're alright flying in winds but not in a constant blizzard. and Id need the bird to make it to Castle Black. A raven on its own probably wouldn't make it to castle black without dying. It was much too cold. I laid on my bed and waited for another Raven to fly by. I yawned and pressed my face against the soft cloths of my pillow. I pulled up the furs and pressed my cheeks against them. Warging was exhausting. As I was about to drift off I hear a crude caw. My eyes fly open and I stare at my window. The Raven cocked its head. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. And with the breath, I lost feeling of my own body. My eyes rolled back and I became what I needed to become. The raven's eyes were like glass. I didn't tear up when I was in the wind. I stared out into the black sky. Knowing from where my room is, I flew off of the window and northern. I could see nothing but snow. Castle Black is huge though. And I am sure ill see the wall before I see the actual castle. Was there 19 Maester Luwin said? Only 3 inhabited. I could feel the bones in my wings being chilled to the center. I've never felt such a dead world. The cold was fierce. The wind made its way through my feathers and I flew what I thought was straight. No senses could tell where I was going. The cold stuck in my throat and took my breath away. For a moment i faltered. I knew if I rested I would only freeze. I flew on and searched desperately for a landmark. The last thing I had seen was the castle walls. The walls I had scaled when I was younger. It hurt to look at them from this high. But seeing that was probably close to a half of an hour ago. But it felt so much longer. I felt as if I should see Castle Black by now, but it was a 3 day fly. So far I was going alright but this was going to be a dead long shot. I hit or I miss my target. Once this body I am in dies, I'll be thrown back to my own body. I hoped someone would find me and care for me during this time. Id be gone at least half a fortnight if I was successful. I tried to think about anything to pass the time. My family. My little brother and all of my older siblings. My lord Father and Mother. My Direwolf Summer. Who was probably howling in worry right now. The other wolves. I thought about the stables. If my horse was being kept warm. I thought about the kennels. If the dogs were warm. I wondered if our love supply of meat was healthy and warm. I am not sure I'll ever experience warm mutton like I had in the summer. I had thought everything would taste the same but it's much colder. The frost on the butchered meat burned my tongue. Sansa has even whined about how she won't be seeing lemon cakes for years. Years at a time. Rickon has been whining the most. I couldn't understand how he could be so hungry until I realized his age. I was quite hungry during that time too. I imagine Id be as tall as Robb maybe if I wasn't a cripple. The bird was hungry too. And in the winter, where everything is hungry, you rarely don't dream about a warm pie of ground vegetables and different cuts of meat. I hoped I was going in the same direction. Even going off of this line could mean trouble. Or other dead bird really. If I stopped flying forward, I'd fall but most likely still go forward. The wind pushed me on and worked in my favor. The speed I was going was doubled. I couldn't wait to be home again and I hadn't been gone very long. I miss y/n. I always miss her. All of the time. she's my best friend I love her. I only have to be apart from her for a short while and I am missing her again. I want her to hug me and kiss me again. Her hugs are the best. Feeling her warmth hold me for so long..its bliss. I would give anything to hug her now. I hope she is with me. I hope she's holding my hand or something. If I wake and she is...If a bird could sigh Id sigh. I wasn't sure how to be a raven but the instincts in the animal held some sort of direction. I moved only slightly right, then left again when my body was thrown in the wind. I was on track again.
***
When Arya left and Rickon went with Osha after a while, I was left alone. A consumed loneliness. I believe it is night. Evening really. The sun would be down and supper would be soon. I decided to go see Bran and see what he was up to. Once I made it to his room i knocked, he hasn't answered, and I opened the large door. Bran was laying on his bed peacefully. When I came in a bit more, and closed the door, I saw his face focused on the window and his eyes white as the snow. I smiled and sat next to him. I tried not to disturb him in any way. I wonder if Bran told anyone he was warging?

Later on, around supper time, I decided to stay with Bran. He had been gone for a couple hours now. I wasn't sure what to do. He never told me he was going to warg. His eyelids fluttered but his eyes stayed open and eggshell white. It made me uncomfortable that he was sneaking around doing this. After dinner was over, Lady Catelyn came in. I was sitting next to Bran's bed and holding his hand when she joined my side. "Did he tell you he was going to leave?" "No." "He didn't tell anyone to my knowledge..." I frowned. "None the less you shan't starve yourself waiting for him to awaken. I'll have a handmaiden bring you some food to keep your strength up." "What shall I feed him?" She paused for a moment before responding. "Water and honey. That is all you can feed him. I remember Meera telling me that is how she kept him alive while he was asleep. He can be asleep for extreme amounts of time and that is what worries me."  I felt the worry creep up on me as well. "A young lady will return. Would you like a night gown from your bedchambers?" I nodded and stared at Bran. She smiles and nods understandingly. "Thank you for taking care of my special boy. You, Meera, Maester Luwin, Jojen, Osha..even Hodor...you all need to know my thanks for taking care of him. And little Rickon. I thank you more than you know dear." I turn away from Bran and stand for the first time in hours to give Catelyn a hug. She seemed surprised by it but embraced me warmly. I wanted to hug her tight. She had so many troubles worrying about her children. She put all of her trust to the people of Winterfell to raise her sons for her. That must be the hardest thing for a mother to do. And she sure is a mother figure for me. She smiled when we pulled apart. "Sweet child." She turns and leaves, closing the door gently. I say down and within a half hour a tray of food was left for me. A mutton chop and ground vegetables with a dark meat soup. There was a small baguette of bread on the tray and a goblet of wine. In a bowl was a small wooden spoon and a bowl of an orangey thick liquid. Honey. Next to it was another goblet with water in it. I looked to Bran worriedly and lifted his head. His soft brown hair through my fingers. I propped him up and slowly brought the goblet to his lips. When I realized this position wasn't working very well, I laid his head propped in my lap and used two fingers to slightly part his lips. I slowly let a little trickle of water go into his mouth and stopped, helping him to swallow it. I did so again 3 more times and set down the goblet. I wasn't quite hungry but Bran would want me to eat. I had the soup and dipped the bread into the juice. I drank half of the wine and set it all aside. I laid in the bed beside Bran and pulled the furs on us both. I wrapped my arms around his torso and stared into his white eyes until I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer.