:: Attempt 14 | Pretend ::

"It seems all of these words
Couldn't be further from the truth;
How did I get here?
What did I do?

"Your eyes, telling me lies,
And making me find myself;
While you have your agenda,
A life to pursue."
- "Pretend" by Secondhand Serenade

x + x

Perhaps it's strange for one to be calm in the face of adversity.

Then again...

A slow, amused smile claims my lips as I walk down the hall following the announcement merely two minutes before.

Does it still count as an 'adversity' if it's expected—even planned, to some extent?

Languidly, I observe the otherwise empty halls, devoid of the main building students who most likely were in their dull, monotonous classes. I shift my messenger bag higher up my shoulder, continuing onwards to the Office of the Board Chairman.

At the thought, I bite my lower lip—a vain attempt to suppress the urge to scowl. The mission. It's for the sake of the mission. I remind myself as I hold out a hand, firmly grasping the cool metal of the doorknob. I'm aware of the consequences of my actions, of course.

Red, red lips. Smiling, smirking, baring perfectly white teeth. "Don't run away now, little huntress. You have failed—and now you pay the price."

The monster advances; red, red lips curled in a mocking grin. Onyx eyes glint triumphantly; she raises a hand, languidly enveloping her fingers around the hilt. The blade glimmers in the dim light. I scowl, hunching even lower where I sit, backed against the wall.

"You can't even get rid of the trash. How useless—and you call yourself the Head's 'daughter'?" She snarls. "How pathetic, how brazen, how stupid!"

I hear a high-pitched whistling noise, then I feel the familiar warmth—of blood, my own, gushing forth from a fresh wound.

I stiffen in alarm as I back away from the door—just as an unknown man forces it open, stepping out of the office with an evident, haughty look upon his disgusting visage.

"Heh, another troublemaker?" The man leers as I stare placidly up at him. It appears that he doesn't care for alleged miscreants such as I'm apparently deemed to be.

"Am I supposed to care about what you think of me?" I question flatly, finishing my rather succinct appraisal of the revolting man. He looks like a commonplace sycophant, that's for sure.. A thing who cares more for its own reputation than those around it.

"Che, it sure isn't any surprise if a brat like you'll be moved to the End Class." He merely sneers, moving out of the way as I enter the office in its—I now refuse to deem him worthy of any human pronouns of a sort, thank you—stead.

As it walked past, I fixate a mocking gaze at its retreating back. Maybe it'll be worth it to poke fun at this high-and-mighty upstart...

"I suppose that that class isn't much worse than where you're heading, Pseudo-sensei." I call out sarcastically, subsequently causing the aforementioned to spin around, sputtering indignant insults as I finally enter the office.