:: Attempt 08 | What Hurts the Most ::

  "I can take a few tears now and then and just let them out.

I'm not afraid to cry every once in a while;

Even though going on with you gone still upsets me.

There are days every now and again I pretend I'm okay,

But that's not what gets me.

"What hurts the most,

Was being so close;

And having so much to say,

And watching you walk away."

- "What Hurts the Most" by Rascal Flatts

x + x

Sometimes there are moments when I slip into a trance-like state, numb to everything and everyone around me. Just like a dream, I humorlessly think.

Unfortunately, I can never remember what I dreamed of.

"Aoi, are you alright?" Tsubaki's concerned voice greets me as I snap out of my reverie, and I force a smile in return. I clasp my hands together in my lap, aware of the fact that they seem to tremble. She doesn't look convinced, but nevertheless she heaves a sigh.

"I'm sorry I invited you out without prior notice.." She finally says sheepishly, scratching at her cheek. I shake my head, tucking a lock of my hair behind an ear.

"It's fine, Tsubaki. It's nothing to worry about." I remark, slowing down my pace to match hers. We are nearing the house faster than expected; I hadn't even noticed when we left the station and started to walk towards the street where the house was located.

A lingering pause follows after my weak attempt at a lie, and she abruptly turns on her heel.

"I don't believe you." She says adamantly, steel entering her tone and filling her voice with a sense of authority I never even thought she possessed. I look back at her in surprise, in the middle of opening the door. It swings open and I let myself in, closely followed by a strangely stern Tsubaki.

"What do you mean?" I reply, taking off my shoes and placing them carefully inside the shoe rack as I adjust my grip upon my purchases. She remains silent, eyeing me with an unreadable glint in her eyes.

I feel a trickle of cold sweat tickling the nape of my neck. She knows. She knows that something happened between me and Gakushu. Of course she does - she's 'Octo', the assistant interrogator of the Sibyl.

She of all people will know if there is something out of place, and resolve to pry the truth at whatever cost.

I bite the inside of my cheek, refusing to utter a muffled curse. Had I been so sloppy, left my guard down and thus exposed the inner workings of my mind? Had I grown soft, thinking that I had finally found companionship in this familiar yet alien land I had already forsaken when I left?

Eyes of Azure | Assassination ClassroomOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara