VI

It had been a few days since I last saw Jakub, aside from a few glances here and there around the arena; because really, the guys didn't talk to the workers much, unless they really had to.

And I hadn't seen Sydney at all, either. We exchanged a few texts every once in awhile, but nothing major. 

As for Blayze, he hadn't spoken to me in a couple weeks. Or even look at me, for that matter. I knew what I did and said was wrong, and I completely regretted it, and wished for nothing more than a chance to apologize. Though, knowing him, I wouldn't be given the time of day. 

"I'm going out for a bit, babe," Max called from the kitchen, pouring himself a quick cup of coffee. "The office needs me. I don't know how long I'll be gone... So, don't wait up." 

"All right," I sighed. 

"I promise, as soon as I get home, we'll order in something to eat and watch some movies," he insisted, pulling his keys from the key rack, "I love you." He called back at me as the door shut behind him. 

I didn't even get the chance to say another word. I couldn't even tell him I knew. 

I knew where he was going. And I knew it wasn't the office. 

"Which one will it be today, hm?" I muttered to myself, getting up in a huff. 

"Patricia or Autumn?" I sifted through the fridge for something to eat. "Or maybe he'll mix things up and pay Veronica a visit?" 

I knew all about his affairs, to the point where I can't even count them all on one hand. 

It sounds awful, but at the end of the day, I'm always the one he's next to in bed. That's how I know he loves me, and I love him. 

Plus, I know I could do no better than that low-life, cheating scumbag, anyways. 

So, without Jakub, Sydney or Blayze - and Max always on the road - I was mostly alone. 

It was only 10:03 in the morning, and I already found myself sad and alone; with only a petty bowl of cereal, and no one to talk to. All that I had left was my job, and even then, I had no one. 

-

"How're you doing?" My coworker, Zoe, asked, following me around the store as I stocked new merchandise. 

"I'm good, how have you been?" I answered nonchalantly, "I've heard newborns can be quite the handful." I chuckled. 

"No, I mean you and Max. How are things with you two?" She asked again, emotionless. 

"We're great," I forced a smile, "Never better." 

She raised a brow at me, "You're not mad at all that your best friend stole the man of your dreams?" 

I paused, "He hit on her. He looked right past me and directly to her, just like most guys do. He likes her, not me. And there's nothing I can do about it, but just be happy for them." 

"But what about the fact that he hit you?" 

I dropped all the hangers onto the ground. "Who told you?" I growled. I could feel her presence linger behind me. 

"I just assumed..." Her voice shaky and timid. 

"It really doesn't matter who knows," I shouted, "All that matters is that I know he loves me, and I really don't care what anyone else thinks." 

"Look, I-I'm sorry I didn't mean to bring anything up..." 

"Whatever," I muttered under my breath. "I need to go. Now." 

I could feel all eyes on me, as I stormed through the doors and headed straight for my car. 

-

It was only 2:09 by the time I had gotten home, but Max still wasn't home. I slumped down on the couch, engulfing myself into a binge on Netflix. I covered up under my favourite Washington Capitals blanket, and just as my eyes were about to shut, there was a knock on the door. 

I paused the TV and answered the door. To my surprise, it was Jakub. 

"Hey," he smiled, giving me a quick hug, "Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner... I just got back from a road trip. And practice just ended, so I figured I'd stop by." 

"Thanks," I giggled. 

"Why weren't you at work today?" He asked, taking a seat on the couch, patting the spot next to him. 

I sat down, "I just wasn't feeling well." I lied. "Wait, how'd you know I was here?" 

"I wanted to talk to you, so I thought I'd visit you at work, since I was there anyways," he shrugged, "Then your coworker Blayze told me you weren't there..." 

"Yeah, I had a bit of a headache." I lied again. 

"Are you sure? Or would you like to try this again before you dig yourself into a deeper hole?" 

I finally obliged, explaining to him - briefly - what had been going on. I managed to keep out the abuse and cheating, though. 

"That's... Really awful..." He said in reply. "I'm so sorry, Rayne." 

"You don't have to be sorry, Jakub," I shrugged it off, "I know you're unsure of what to say, too. And that's okay. I'm not looking for a pity party." I chuckled. 

He laughed too, then this expression turned serious, "I've never really been put in this situation before..." He paused, looking deep into my eyes. 

"What situation?" I asked, raising a brow at him. 

"I don't know how to explain it..." He trailed off once again, biting his lip. 

He never broke our stare. It was silent for a moment, until he pulled me into him and placed his lips onto mine roughly, pulling away - in what seemed to be, an instant. 

"This... This situation." 

It was then, without another word, he left.