Chapter 2 - Part II

*Inside Evil and its sequels are available on Amazon, Kobo, B&N, Smashwords and iBooks*

Martha was wrapped up in an enormous woollen blanket with the bottle of whisky in her hand. She now sat on one of the leather sofas in Best Books, Susan and Sam either side of her, trying to dry off in front of the fire. Her fingertips were painful from where her nails had snapped and splintered on the cobbles. Her flawlessly applied makeup was now non existent apart from a few remnants of mascara smudged across her cheeks, and her hair was plastered down over her forehead. She shivered as she re-told the story to the police officer, Officer Rider, who was sitting opposite her and who seemed to be as shaken as she was. He sat there, his left leg shaking as if to try and constantly remind himself that he was awake and not in some vivid dream. As Martha finished her story, the police officer asked.

“And then he just disappeared?”

“Not he, it. I keep telling you, there was a gust of wind, we both looked and when I looked back it was gone. Not a trace.”

“But it would have only been a few seconds in between.”

“I know but it was gone. I banged my head, I don’t know, maybe I passed out for a few seconds, I really don’t know. All I do know is that when I realised it was gone, I got up and came running back here.”

The officer turned his attention to Susan. “And you say this is your shop?”

Susan nodded, “Well, this bookstore, yes it’s mine.”

“Do you often stay behind drinking?”

“Now and then, why?” Susan remarked, not trusting where the line of questioning was going.

“Well it seems to me, don’t take this the wrong way, but,” he turned to Martha. “Ms Wittle, how much had you had to drink before leaving?”

“What?” Martha’s head snapped up. “Are you implying that I was drunk?!”

Throwing off her blanket and finding her feet, Martha gesticulated wildly towards the policeman.

“I did not make this up. How dare you! I should’ve guessed that you wouldn’t take it seriously. Maybe if you all did your jobs properly you’d have found my husband!”

Susan reached up and gently put her arms around Martha, bringing her back down to the sofa.

“It’s OK Martha, I’m sure that’s not what he was implying.” She shot a glance towards the policeman that would have shrivelled the strongest of men. “They’re just trying to get a full picture.”

“Yes, I’m sorry Ms Wittle, I didn’t mea….,” he trailed off and fumbled his words as he tried desperately to think of something to say.

“Can I go home officer?” Martha asked irritably.

Susan could tell that Martha was quickly reaching the end of her tether and though she was visibly shaken and scared, she was not the type of woman to lose her emotional strength for long.

“Umm, well, I guess so. We’ve taken your statement so I guess there’s nothing else to do. Could I just take your names too?”

“Sam Carter.”

“Susan Lingly.”

As soon as the words had come out of her mouth, Susan realised there was something wrong. The police offer in front of her visibly paled, his knee becoming even more vigorous in its movement.

“You’re Susan, Anne, Lingly?”

“Yes. What of it?”

“Just a minute.” Getting to his feet hurriedly, the police officer dashed over to another part of the room. “Brady, Officer Brady.”

“Sue, what on earth?” Sam asked.

“I’ve no idea,” Susan replied as she saw the two officers talking in the corner. The interviewing officer whispered something into the other’s ear, causing his colleague to give Susan a sudden look. Susan couldn’t quite work out whether it was one of sympathy or dread. She saw the female officer say something into her radio, pause and listen to the reply, before taking a deep breath.

“What’s going on,” Susan asked as the officer came hurrying back, the pit in her stomach lurching.

“Ms Lingly, could we have a private word with you?”

“Yes of course,” Susan said worriedly as she got to her feet and was ushered towards Officer Brady. “What’s all this about?”

Susan wasn’t entirely sure what or how the officers broke the news. Both individuals stood in front of her for several moments, skirting around the problem by first placing a hand on her shoulder and lowering their voices. The first time that she heard it, Susan knew it to be incorrect. In fact, she almost giggled at its ridiculous nature. The second time the words resounded in her head, she lost her footing, before vomiting on the floor as she slipped to the carpet.

Her daughter was dead.

*I will be posting one or two scenes every week as the story builds. However, if you can't wait that long, Inside Evil and its sequels are on Amazon, Kobo, B&N, Smashwords and iBooks.

If you want to know more, visit geoffreywakeling.com, sign up to my newsletter, visit my Facebook or Tweet me. Thanks for reading, I appreciate your support.*