How did he know she was up at the main house?

Her heart was racing. She recounted the ferry trips with Greg. Greg was so dominant with him. Why did Kevin always keep his eyes on her when Greg was talking to him?

"I'd rather be with you than her."

In all that indecision, Allison had forgotten the door wasn't locked. She saw it opening  and then Kevin walked in. His eyes were on her as he approached. Allison saw that he was carrying her journal.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

He had that same unnerving stare. "I came to talk to you. I wanted to give you your journal."

"OK. Leave it on the counter then I want you to go."

"I'm not going to hurt you."

"I'm not going to let you hurt me." She mustered enough courage to keep her eyes fixed on him and her voice strong. "Why would you say that anyway?"

He sort of laughed, she could tell the laugh meant she was over reacting, acting irrational or emotional.

"I'm serious." She said. "I don't want you here."

"You owe me a conversation –at least, don't you?"

"Why would I?"

His green eyes twinkled. He raised his eyebrows. She had the feeling that he was having a different, more familiar conversation with her than the real one they were having. She'd had a hint of that the few times they'd spoken after they broke up. "Hey."

"I'm serious. No. I don't want to have a conversation with you."

He held up the journal.

"Ok. Fine." She said. "Leave it on the counter."

"Allison. I just wanted a chance to talk to you. I'm sorry for everything--how it all went down."

"Ok. Well we've both moved on. I'm going home. it's over."

"I'm sorry about the journal. It really was in my truck."

She shrugged. "Ok. Whatever--I just don't know how that could be. I'm sure the last entry was from the beach when I got stuck on the rock."

"So?"

She didn't respond." He knew what she was suggesting. She'd know for sure later when she read it again for the first time since it went missing. 

"I'm sorry I read it." While Kevin talked Allison's attention was drawn to the screen porch. Daryl was there. He'd sneaking in stealthily through the back screen for. He was now lurking around, positioned near the door that led to the expansive living room. He was dressed in black martial arts clothes. He had his Hunter Thompson hat on. He was holding  what looked like a samurai sword.

She shook her head. Kevin couldn't see from where he was standing and he must have taken her head shake to mean she wouldn't forgive him for reading it. Really, Allison didn't care. Although she was happy to get it back.

He continued. "And the night after the bar. I'm really not the kind of guy who does those things. i don't know why."

Daryl walked into the kitchen and stood, sword by his side  staring at Kevin.

"Holy shit. What's he doing?" 

Allison walked over to Daryl. "It's fine. He's returning my journal."

"The one that went missing that night at the beach?"

"It was in my truck. Jesus would you put that thing away?"