Chapter 11

She sat in the silence of the cottage. That place between Gregg leaving and another night with Kevin. Things weren't the same anymore; she didn't want to see Kevin again. it was a swift vacillation. She didn't like him any more. And what if she liked Greg? It was too easy to be sincere. Even her own intense feelings felt fueled by something questionable. What she didn't know.

She put her bathing suit on and threw a cotton sundress over it. She put on a pair of tennis shoes and grabbed her floppy hat and sunglasses. She felt at least a little disguised. She decided to ride her bike into town, get a coffee and write in a little cafe before riding out to some private beach and spending the afternoon by herself, writing, thinking.

She looked at her phone. She hadn't heard it chime but there was another text from Kevin.

KEVIN: Meet me at the ferry for the 7:00 to Portland?

She shook her head at the phone. She looked away for a minute. She typed:

ALLISON: I'm sorry. I need a break.

She let out a breath and stared at the screen. That's what she wanted to say. she wanted to send the text and run up the hill and follow those feelings she had for Greg. Instead she hit backspace and erased all the text. 

ALLISON: Sounds good. I'm going out. Not taking my phone.

She exhaled. She hadn't thought of that. But, it was a good idea. No responsibility to anyone.

KEVIN: why? 

ALLISON: I want to write.

KEVIN: without your phone?

She shook here head again. She didn't answer. She left the phone on her table. Her instincts were telling her that he was possessive. That this shift in her feelings was bringing out something in him. She closed the cottage door and slipped her canvas backpack on. She got on the cruiser bike and walked it down the stone path until she got to the paved street. It was still early. Not even 9:00. It was already hot. When Allison got to the end of the path she looked up at the big house. She was surprised to see Gregg loading up his car with what looked like a cooler and a life jacket. She walked back near the run down garage and parked her bike behind it. Then, she tip toed back around the side where she knew he couldn't see her. She watched him as he loaded a few more things into the car. Then, his phone must have rung because he picked it up and put it to his ear. Allison examined his posture and his stance. There was something about it that was comfortable and affectionate. What was it? He was laughing. That same laugh.

Allison stop! She told herself. Get on your bike and do what you planned. But, she couldn't stop. Allison felt like she was putting the pieces of something together. He must have a girl friend. That was who he was talking to. he was leaning against the car looking up and laughing. he had his sunglasses on. She thought of the two of them in the ocean just the night before. She remembered his hands on her bare back. The feeling of him kissing her neck.

"What are you doing?" Allison jumped when she heard a voice. It was Daryl. He was carrying a fishing pole and had on a fishing cap with a lot of lures.

"Spying on Greg." she whispered.

He put his gear down and stood next to her. Peered around the side of the rickety structure along side her.

"Who's he talking to?"

She shook her head. She didn't look at Daryl but spoke to him while she spied. "I don't know. Does it look like he's talking to a girlfriend?"