Chapter 15 - Meet The Boss

Start from the beginning

The entire way up the stairs, instead of making small talk or plans for their interrogation, Hazel's eyes remained solely on the side of Nathan's face. Studying silently. Admiring.

"Thank you." She breathed quietly. She had to admit she was a little shocked when he turned around and gave her an earnest look.

"Hm?" He mumbled softly, a corner of his mouth curling upwards in interest.

"I was uh," She gave a nervous cough. Lily blinked her tired eyes in irritation from the jolt from her nap. "Saying thank you. For everything. You know, all this." She gestured to all the objects they were carrying. "I'm just really thankful." She didn't intend for it to get as mushy as it rapidly did. All she had intended to do was say thank you. Somehow it felt like a lot more than that. Something endearing and sweet. She could feel his eyes lingering on the side of her head. Nervously, she nudged her shoulders. "I just hope I'm not intruding or anything."

Nathan scoffed. Turning and looking up the stairs to his home's entrance. "Sweet company is never intrusive, Hazel." The silence from her side caused him to turn, noticing the red against her cheeks as she fixated herself on petting Lily's fur. "That apartment gets lonely from time to time. It's nice to have someone around that makes it feel alive."

"But you don't have a place to sleep." She mumbled as they reached his door. "What will you do while I'm here?"

Nathan shifted the box against his other hip so he could grab his key, whisking the door open with ease. "We'll figure that out, don't worry. We're smart."

After giving a playful wink, he slipped himself inside and set down the box in front of his bedroom door. Hazel, instead of following, hesitated and stood dumbfoundedly in his doorway.

"I'm going to give the station a call and ask for an address on these guys."

Hazel nodded, setting down Lily and closing the door behind her. Her cat things rested beside her box as glanced around the room, admiring as Nathan held the phone between his shoulder and ear, madly jotting down the information they craved. She knew.

She was home.

-------------

"We're hoping to speak with Mr. Sinclair and Mr. Gates." As Nathan spoke he slipped his ID back into his pants pocket. It seemed that one of those could get anyone anywhere. Hazel learned this first hand from watching him work.

The woman behind the desk adjusted her glasses, her long brown hair waving at the sides with a gentle sway of her head. "Mr. Sinclair and Mr. Gates?"

Nathan squinted. Looking quizzically at Hazel and moving only his eyes before resuming. "Yes."

Her nose gave a small sigh. "Mr. Gates was let go recently."

Nathan stood up taller, removing his arm from the counter it had been leaning on, reaching one hand instead into his pocket. "How long ago?"

"A few days ago I believe." She shrugged. "But Mr. Sinclair is here. He's on the 8th floor. I'll let him know you two are on your way up."

Nathan gave a nod, eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. Regardless, he brushed a hand against Hazel's shoulder and began towards the elevator. Only when they were inside did either of them speak.

"Why would he be fired so suddenly?" A hand rested against the side of her head.

Nathan shrugged, running a hand through his hair. "No idea. It could be because of his work performance."

"But they would give him notice, wouldn't they? They wouldn't just," She sighed throwing her arms down to her sides. "Let someone go without a warning. I don't get it."